Being a good husband and father

Started by ReelFishingProblems, January 13, 2018, 10:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Anglers' Workshop just dropped a box off with rod building parts. Wife just got back from a business trip last night, so being the good husband I set up a hand wrapping station on the dining room kitchen to be close to the family.

Project is my grandfather's old surf rod. Stripped to the white blank (leaving the Varmac reel seat and cork) wrapping it in black and silver metallic and will be the new home of a polished silver 704Z drilled out for surf fishing.

This is where the project started

Here's step one

Next step for this end is to apply the epoxy, then a cobia decal between the red bands.
After that I will move on to spacing and wrapping the guides.

Due to the discoloration of the rod blank over time, I was still able to see the original guide placement even after cleaning then rod (being careful not to damage the blank more than my grandfather and time already did).

I placed the stripper guide first and went a little heavy handed with the wraps, since it is placed close to the end of the top section of the rod.

Then I moved on to the tip-top and first guide... low and behold that 100yd spool of metallic black ran out (save 10 ft or so) guess i'll have to finish the other guides next weekend

Thanks to John (Thorhammer) for the motivation and inspiration on this project.

Nick
Valrico, FL

theswimmer

Very cool Nick.
I set up to tie flies in the back porch when the grandsons are here.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

David Hall

I'm fixing to get several of my grandkids started fly tying over the next week or so.  Can't wait. Beats the hell out of iPhones.

cwillis85

Now the truth comes out, it wasn't the cold and probably lousey fishing, that keep you from coming to the pier. It was another project.  :)

I am just a Florida wimp and cannot come out of the house when it is less than 65 degrees out
Chris

happyhooker

Looks like a good project to start off '18.

Frank

Cor

Setting up a job on the dining room table,...ouch that would not meet with approval in this house with a loving wife of 44 years. :-[
Cornelis

ReelFishingProblems

I told Thea I made this post. She rolled her eyes at me pretty hard. I got about 10 minutes in and then put it away, to save my hide.

She sleeps in, so I can always work on it when she's sleeping.

Nick

droppedit

My wife always knows the color of the rod I'm working on just by the thread I track up from the cellar. 30 years ago I decided to make a rod for myself, lol, enjoy! This can be an addicting habit.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

thorhammer

Pics! I used to wrap in my lap in living room.  Thread catching in vacuum sent me back to the shop. 

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: cwillis85 on January 14, 2018, 02:39:56 AM
Now the truth comes out, it wasn't the cold and probably lousey fishing, that keep you from coming to the pier. It was another project.  :)

I am just a Florida wimp and cannot come out of the house when it is less than 65 degrees out
I probably would still have gone fishing if Thea hadn't just got home Friday night

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: thorhammer on January 14, 2018, 12:52:28 PM
Pics! I used to wrap in my lap in living room.  Thread catching in vacuum sent me back to the shop. 
How did you wrap a rod in your lap? Without some crazy contraption that seems impossible

thorhammer

Made a 2' tall tee out of planks. Cut a v notch and screwed drawer rollers to it. Set thread in a box at my feet and hand tensioned and wound. Basically same thing I do now just vee's are on bench top. Thread sits in a little tray.  That's why I'm slow lol.  I did much more elaborate wrapping then. 

ReelFishingProblems

Everything wrapped.
Learned a good lesson that maybe should have been common sense. Size A should be used for under wraps with size D over it. I had an issue with the black digging into the silver allowing the silver to show through. Next time it will be easier.

Epoxy is drying on the bottom half of the rod now. Next is the top half

Nick

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on January 14, 2018, 01:28:05 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on January 14, 2018, 12:52:28 PM
Pics! I used to wrap in my lap in living room.  Thread catching in vacuum sent me back to the shop.  
How did you wrap a rod in your lap? Without some crazy contraption that seems impossible

I also wrap rods in my lap.  I have never wrapped/built rods in any other way.  I started about 43 years ago, but I have built/repaired only about 40-50 rods, and most of those in the first 10-15 years.
Since I started out tying flies, I used a tying bobbin for rod wrapping.  For increased tension, I threw a couple loops over one leg of the tying bobbin.  I turn the rod in my fingers, keeping the bobbin in the palm of my right hand.  My first attempt was refinishing and rebuilding an occupied-Japan cane fly rod that an uncle had brought back and given to my dad.  I caught my first fly-fish steelhead (about 7 pounds) on that rod at the mouth of the Trinity, where it joins the Klamath.

I bought a used rod wrapping wooden jig about 12 years ago, but have yet to use it.

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on January 20, 2018, 06:46:16 PM
Everything wrapped.
Learned a good lesson that maybe should have been common sense. Size A should be used for under wraps with size D over it. I had an issue with the black digging into the silver allowing the silver to show through. Next time it will be easier.

Nick

You can also wrap in the opposite direction while doing the over-wraps.  Some people may have trouble adapting to the switch.  Or you could apply a thin coat of rod varnish and wait till it is totally dry before starting the over-wrap.

thorhammer

Jim we'd love to see that fly rod if you have it!