Never Easy

Started by Scattergun2570, January 15, 2018, 02:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

So I have one of these really inexpensive Shimano FX 1000FB spinners. Great value in my opinion..but I never saw one of these torn apart by anyone,,soooooo.....yep took it apart. So it's real simple inside when no IAR is involved,but somehow I always have an issue reassembling. Something I have not seen up to this point is the shape of the oscillation gear.,it's not round. When I buttoned it back up,the handle could barely get the gears turning. Only thing I can guess is the oscillation slider,and the oscillation gear have to be installed at a particular point. There are marks"arrows "on the oscillation gear,but I am not sure if that's what they are for,and if they are,I have no idea where it is supposed to be lined up with.

Am I even close to being right,or am I missing something else?

exp2000

See attached.

I call this the square cog design. I think that Shimano calls it "variwrap oscillation"?

It is designed to vary the spool oscillation speed to improve line wrap.

If you do not align the arrow marks on the gears, the reel will bind up and you may even cause damage.

~

Scattergun2570

Quote from: exp2000 on January 15, 2018, 02:54:08 AM
See attached.

I call this the square cog design. I think that Shimano calls it "variwrap oscillation"?

If you do not align the arrow marks on the gears, the reel will bind up and you may even cause damage.

~

Well at least my thinking was correct,,but I still can't seem to get it correct,,is this the way it should be? Can you explain exactly how it should be put in?

exp2000

The arrows should line up with the centers of the two cogs.

I find a 15 cm long piece of pink or yellow braid useful as an alignment tool.

The pin on the oscillating gear is also an arrow for this purpose.

First align the oscillating gear with the maingear center.

Then install the maingear whist making sure the arrows on it align with the oscillating gear center.

If the arrows do not align, remove the maingear and try again.

Ultimately you should have four arrows in straight alignment with the centers: Four arrows along the red line.
~

Scattergun2570

Quote from: exp2000 on January 15, 2018, 03:58:27 AM

Then install the maingear whist making sure the arrows on it align with the oscillating gear center.

Ultimately you should have four arrows in straight alignment with the centers: Four arrows along the red line.
~

Still not sure I have it right is this the way the arrows should be?  When I turn the pinion gear with  The side cover off it rotates smoothly but once I put the cover on and screws back in it gets messed up again and I tried less and more torque on the screws,still no good.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: exp2000 on January 15, 2018, 03:58:27 AM

I don't think I am understanding what the cogs are.

~

Scattergun2570

Quote from: exp2000 on January 15, 2018, 02:54:08 AM
See attached.

~

Not sure what the cogs are

exp2000

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on January 15, 2018, 04:36:00 AM
Still not sure I have it right is this the way the arrows should be?  When I turn the pinion gear with  The side cover off it rotates smoothly but once I put the cover on and screws back in it gets messed up again and I tried less and more torque on the screws,still no good.

Yep, looks good to me.

If it is tight, try removing a shim on the maingear.

But if you have applied force to the handle without the cogs having been first aligned, damage may have occurred to the oscillating gear or drive gear teeth.
~

Scattergun2570

Quote from: exp2000 on January 15, 2018, 05:12:35 AM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on January 15, 2018, 04:36:00 AM

Yep, looks good to me.

If it is tight, try removing a shim on the maingear.

But if you have applied force to the handle without the cogs having been first aligned, damage may have occurred to the oscillating gear or drive gear teeth.
~

Well I think I must have gotten it correct,,it's running smoothly,minus one main gear shim. It feels better than before,no "Geary" feeling anymore. I guess after 15yrs it needed some new grease, but I have to hand it to Shimano,this $20.00 reel lays line terrific...

foakes

Good teamwork, guys!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

boon

A future caution for anyone servicing Shimano spinners with these oval/square oscillation gears, a single rotation of the handle with the gears misaligned (depending on the extent of the misalignment) can damage either the gears or the body of the reel.

foakes

Quote from: boon on January 16, 2018, 01:58:43 AM
A future caution for anyone servicing Shimano spinners with these oval/square oscillation gears, a single rotation of the handle with the gears misaligned (depending on the extent of the misalignment) can damage either the gears or the body of the reel.

Yep...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

if you ever do an Okuma -- same principle...  get Okuma's generic instructions for "eliptical oscillation" & pay attention (photo) when you take it apart

Scattergun2570

Well I did spin it a few times misaligned ,hopefully it didn't damage it,,but the reel feels very good,"fluid" no slop anymore,so maybe I got lucky.

boon

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on January 17, 2018, 12:08:28 AM

Well I did spin it a few times misaligned ,hopefully it didn't damage it,,but the reel feels very good,"fluid" no slop anymore,so maybe I got lucky.

Lucky :) Ironically as they get more expensive and the tolerances get smaller and the rigidity of the parts higher there's more chance of damaging something.