How does one fit a screwdriver to a screw

Started by Dominick, January 17, 2018, 01:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Whenever I see a Phillips head screw, I reach for the nearest one and work the screw.  Sometimes it skips and dings the screw.  Is there a simple way to know which size Phillips head to use?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

As easy as 00, 0, 1, 2, 3.  You need to develop an eye for the size and use the right one. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Shark Hunter

Screw Dinger! ;)
Get a Chapman or Wiha set. It has all the sizes so you can overcome this wretched dinging.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

The largest that will fit.  With phillips tips, it should be fairly easy to tell, as there is a noticeable size difference.  Ive seen a number of multi-driver ones (square and phillips drive) that dont seem to work as well with either. 

What will get you is the asian style that looks like a phillips, but the profile is a bit different, so they strip out easily when using a phillips. 

Keta

Then there's Reid Prince to further confuse things.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

I believe the screw head that Adam was referring to is JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) - it looks very similar to a Philips, but it is a different fit. They are very common on Asian reels as well as computer stuff.
Arm yourself with some Vessel bits (sizes 1, 2 and 3) they will fit both JIS and Philips.

josa1

You also might want to try a pin vice,,a tool that is used in watch making and repair to hold the crown pin but which can also be used to hold and start small screws.

After the screw is firmly in place you can gently try different screwdrivers to see which is the best fit for final tightening.

I seem to find a lot of uses for these tools, I'm sure you would too.

A four piece set of the vices is about $10.00 on Ebay.

josa1

Dominick

Should the bit fully insert into the screw or will a portion stay above the opening?  Dominick Dinger
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on January 18, 2018, 02:29:50 AM
Full engagement.
and if you really love that reel, cradle it by placing your index and thumb close to the screwdriver tip so it won't slide off the screw and damage the anodizing. Oh and another thing...no power drivers ;) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I just bought 2 sets of JIS bits.  The prices are all over, from $4.00 to $18.00 for the same brand.  I got the $4.00 ones and they only zapped me $5.00 for shipping.  Hopefully this will help with Shimano and Diawa screws.

Sal, some of us have to deal with arthritis and I have a hand that never healed right from being broken a few years ago.  You have to be extra careful when using a power screwdriver but as long as you are only using it on Philips (and JIS) Torx or allen they do not slip out of the screw and mangle a nice reel.  You also can not tork down the screws, I loosen and finish tightening by hand.  With a slot head screw the driver blade can slip and there goes the finish.  If you can use a hand screwdriver they are preferred over a power one.

BTW, cataracts do not help either.

Mark Twain

foakes

Quote from: Keta on January 18, 2018, 04:30:45 PM
Sal, some of us have to deal with arthritis and I have a hand that never healed right from being broken a few years ago.  You have to be extra careful when using a power screwdriver but as long as you are only using it on Philips (and JIS) Torx or allen they do not slip out of the screw and mangle a nice reel.  You also can not tork down the screws, I loosen and finish tightening by hand.  With a slot head screw the driver blade can slip and there goes the finish.  If you can use a hand screwdriver they are preferred over a power one.

Lee is exactly right on the power drivers, IMO.

I use a good quality drill such as a variable speed small 12V Milwaukee with an adjustable clutch so parts are not damaged.

But I never use a power driver on old antiques, high end aluminum anodized reels, or any reel that can be damaged by a slip.  Plus, I am careful -- and generally do the initial screw "break" using the proper manual screwdriver.

And on the final function check of the reel before bagging and boxing -- one of the last things done is to check each screw or bolt with manual tools, snug them just right. 

I can't abide messed up screw heads just because I was too lazy to use a manual driver.  However, when doing 16 screws on a large salt reel, plus everything else involved -- for me, a power driver used properly and competently with high torque and slow variable speed -- is invaluable for general production work on the bench.

It doesn't matter on a crate of reels for a charter operation -- but it does matter to me in the case of a full restoration, old reel, or high end anodized reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

conchydong

Dominick, I have to thank you for this thread. What started as a simple question became very informative for myself and I am sure many others. I did not know what JIS was before this although I often wondered why "normal" bits often did not fit as snug as they should have. I am sure many of us have been googling JIS screw drivers for the past couple of days.

Keep up the good work, intentional or not.

Scott

bhale1

I know I've been Googling ( is that really a word now?), And also following the similar thread on the ""Tools and lubricant" section of the site....Very interesting, waiting to see what the boss comes up with on his correspondence with the Vessel screwdriver rep...from what I've learned so far they are one of the best out there for screwdrivers in the JIS line.

Brett