DAM QUICK 3000

Started by Alto Mare, January 17, 2018, 06:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Lately I've been working on some Dam reels and decided to check out the skirted spool version as well.
Today, that little snow we had was enough to keep me home, so this was a good opportunity to take it apart

this reel comes with 2 asbestos washers...nothing impressive there and I'm sure it would feel pretty rough under fishing conditions

removing the side plate revealed that these reels are all pretty much similar in design. Why not! if they did  it right the first time it only makes sense

This reel was in pretty good shape, so soaking the parts was not needed.
I sprayed some Peslode on a rag to keep it from evaporate and used it to clean the parts

my 1 ton press was needed on this one as well to remove the bearing, I'm not sure how others do it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be easy without a press

I'll post some pics of the parts going back in and also my idea of a drag upgrade, in case someone else wanted to try it

the press was needed again to set the bearing back in

the original stack

and the upgrade ...I cut some carbon fiber washers to size, if you wanted to purchase some the part No is 56-710, those might be thicker than the ones I used, mine were made from a 55mm sheet. If you need the extra metal keyed washers, the part No. is 57-720

my new layout on the drag stack

the first washer at the bottom is a Delrin washer, followed by a carbon fiber, metal keyed, carbon fiber, metal hex, carbon fiber, metal keyed
I also removed the asbestos hex for under the spool and replaced it with a Delrin

and the completed reel, working smoother than ever

Best,

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Nice work Sal. snowing like crazy down here.

Shark Hunter

I've had to use 4WD to get out of my driveway the past two mornings.
Great work on that 3000 Sal. ;)
Life is Good!

bhale1

Sal,
As always another fine job! Way to make the best of your snow day😁
I don't have any of these reels yet, but for future reference can the bearing be adequately cleaned without pressing it off?
Like maybe unshielding, and then using the straw to blast it out with the Paslode cleaner? Just curious...always trying to learn.
Brett

Alto Mare

John and Daron, be safe down there ;)

Brett, absolutely! If the bearing spins fine after cleaning, there is no need to pull it. These reels are new to me, i could tell you that I haven't run into one of these bearing having shields.
If one of yours does need to come off, you know where to send it, unless you'll find a way...which I'm sure you will ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Nice, Sal!

I've only had one worm gear pinion & bearing in all the reels that I've torn down that wouldn't come apart with love tap. On that one I used a deep well socket and washer with a snug fit, threaded the nut flush and gave it a good tap with a hammer & small oak block. It popped right out.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

How about that...the later reels do have the worm gear set up...I've been wondering about that. Looks great Sal, love the drag upgrade. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Great tutorial, Sal!

I really like your drag upgrade to CF, and also the Delrin under spool hex is a good improvement.

IMO, the best of these newer series of DAM Quick reels is the "01" grouping.

Reasons? --

Larger drag washer that can be upgraded to greased CF, metal skirted spool design.  (The "00" has the smaller drag stack, and the "02" has the good larger drag system -- but also composite graphite spools).

None of these reels are easy to find parts for.  When I was stocking parts for these a few decades ago -- there were rumors that DAM was heading to Asia, like most every other major company -- and very few dealers ordered any parts inventory.

I still have possibly the largest inventory of DQ parts that I know of -- but just use them for members on our site -- and my own rebuilds for clients.

Many of the older series of common parts will fit these -- but only around 30%.  So...be careful with the parts unless you want to buy a donor reel.

On removing and servicing the main shaft bearing from the worm drive -- I have always just used a nylon covered hammer along with a block of wood.  Never failed to do the job.  That doesn't mean that a press isn't better -- just that if you do not have a press -- no issues.

I do think that I will get a press this year -- particularly for some of the handles and gear shafts that use roll pins or solid serrated wedge pins.

On cleaning the bearing, if shielded -- I just pop off the shields and toss them in the trash.  Drop them in a glass pimento jar of lacquer thinner for 15 minutes.  Shake it a couple of times -- remove, rinse, dry, then pack it with TSI321 or CorrosionX for fresh water, or Marine Grade grease such as Yamaha or Penn for Saltwater.

As always, when reinstalling the bearing -- make sure the OD & ID are coated with a light grease.  This will not improve function -- but will make it a simple-burger to service in a few years.

As the years tick by, and newer reels come out -- these old DAMs impress me more and more.

And they also catch fish very capably...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Oh wow Fred, those are some large washers on those bad boys, very nice.
I also like your block of wood, very simple and effective. :)
Thanks for always giving us information that most times isn't easy to get.

Back on the 3000. From what I've seen, if this reel is kept nice and fished with respect, you wouldn't need parts or another reel, these are built tough.

I found this online...pretty cool
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dam+3000+schematics&view=detail&mid=11092323E7C7110598C211092323E7C7110598C2&FORM=VIRE

Sal

handyandy

Awesome job on the drag stack and the delrin. I need to just order some carbontex sheets, as I have a 2001, 1200 I think, a 1000, and 1001 I've managed to acquire over the past few months that I need go through. I think once I finally have time to go through them the little 1000 will become my favorite small reel it's just one DAM fine reel even as it sits now with missing the little side cap, and old dried out grease. Great pictures, and tutorial much appreciated.

Rivverrat

From Sal  " this reel comes with 2 asbestos washers...nothing impressive there and I'm sure it would feel pretty rough under fishing conditions "

Dont know about the 1000 series of reels but I have found the asbestos drag washers in 1001 series to be every bit as good as any carbon fiber washers I've come across... Jeff

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 01, 2018, 07:33:56 PM
From Sal  " this reel comes with 2 asbestos washers...nothing impressive there and I'm sure it would feel pretty rough under fishing conditions "

Dont know about the 1000 series of reels but I have found the asbestos drag washers in 1001 series to be every bit as good as any carbon fiber washers I've come across... Jeff

I agree, Jeff.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

If breathing in asbestos dust is your thing...go for it🙂
Sal

Rivverrat

Sal, I have little to no concerns regarding what ever micro amount of asbestos may enter my body from the small asbestos discs in these reels. I am convinced that as long as one doesnt grind / sand & breath deeply or eat the dust from asbestos & doing this over an extended period of time there is not much to be concerned with.  I'm also convinced asbestos can be hazardous for those lacking common sense.

However we each must be responsible for our own well being & the decisions we make in doing this. It is a small thing to change out these asbestos washers for carbon.... Jeff

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 01, 2018, 08:33:46 PM
Sal, I have little to no concerns regarding what ever micro amount of asbestos may enter my body from the small asbestos discs in these reels. I am convinced that as long as one doesnt grind / sand & breath deeply or eat the dust from asbestos & doing this over an extended period of time there is not much to be concerned with.  I'm also convinced asbestos can be hazardous for those lacking common sense.

However we each must be responsible for our own well being & the decisions we make in doing this. It is a small thing to change out these asbestos washers for carbon.... Jeff
Yep! to each his own. I felt comfortable tossing them in the trash and will do it every time I run into those.

I believe what I've done above on the drag stack is the best you could do...just my opinion of course.

Sal