DAM QUICK 3000

Started by Alto Mare, January 17, 2018, 06:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Sal, it is good to see you get out & fish. Wish I lived close to the beach.  But then I'd just lament being away from my river... Jeff

mo65

Most folks like the '01 or '02 series of these reels but I really like these '00 models. The bail style...the gearing...and the anti-reverse are all designs I prefer. This reel was a little on the rough side, as can be seen in the e-Bay seller's pic below. I had planned to hop things up a little for catfishing but I decided to give her a face lift too. A little touch up paint and some polishing should do wonders.

The bearings did get smaller in these reels than the previous model Quicks, but quality remained tops.

That little plastic ring is a damper that goes on the AR arm. It was broken so I tossed it. I like a loud AR anyway. Maybe someone knows where that copper ball came from. It fell out when I took the rotor off...I'm at a loss. :-\

Here is a before and after shot of the handle arm.

I love Sal's 3-stack mod for this reel, so I applied it to my reel.

Below left is the reel as received, and after work on the right. Now it should look as good as it fishes!  

Thanks Sal for this tutorial, it made the rebuild process go smoother. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on September 11, 2019, 12:34:37 AM
   Most folks like the '001 or '002 series of these reels but I really like these '000 models. The bail style...the gearing...and the anti-reverse are all designs I prefer.
I feel the same Mo, these are great reels, just like the older models but a bit more refined.

Great job bringing than one back.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Nice, Mike! Don't you hate it  ??? when you have extra parts you can't find a place for?  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Great job, Mike!

That ball either came out of a ball bearing (although the balls are not copper, so I doubt that theory) --

Or someone's Daisy Ammo got stuck in the grease when it was serviced previously -- most likely.

It does not officially belong in the reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on September 11, 2019, 01:24:44 AM
Great job, Mike!

That ball either came out of a ball bearing (although the balls are not copper, so I doubt that theory) --

Or someone's Daisy Ammo got stuck in the grease when it was serviced previously -- most likely.

It does not officially belong in the reel.

Best,

Fred

Thanks Fred, I figured it was an anomaly. I'm surprised a bigfoot or an alien didn't crawl out of that thing. There was a surplus of crud to scrape out.

Rivverrat

I really like all of the earlier Quick reels with 4 digit model numbers. Some of these models have improved ergonomics & cast a little better than the prior models. Anti reverse is very good in these 4 digit models. The cross pin in the spool shaft would break long before any damage is done to the anti reverse.

However three of the 3 digit models remain favorites of mine... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 17, 2018, 06:30:18 PM
This reel comes with 2 asbestos washers...nothing impressive there and I'm sure it would feel pretty rough under fishing conditions

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 01, 2018, 07:33:56 PM
Don't know about the 1000 series of reels but I have found the asbestos drag washers in 1001 series to be every bit as good as any carbon fiber washers I've come across... Jeff

From my limited experience with the '00/'01/'02 reels the asbestos washers can range from terrible performance to excellent performance. It all seems to ride on how the asbestos is cut. The washers in the '00 reels tend to be a very rough cut, lots of gaps and dead spots in the surface area, resulting in a stuttering pull. On the other hand, the '01 reels have those nice smooth asbetos washers, and work much better. I deducted that if the '00 washers were smoothed...they may work more like the '01 washers.
  First off...let me say this was just an experiment...I am not recommending messing with the asbestos washers. Working with them is going to make dust, and whether it's enough to harm you is debatable, so sand and file at your own risk. The photos below demonstrate the stock washer, and that same washer filed to a smoother surface. It isn't even totally smooth...that stuff is hard as a rock and I got sick of filing...but the performance difference is like night and day! 8)

Gobi King

My 2.5 pesos

4000 was just too heavy and big
so I bought a 3000, well that was not much smaller, nice reel but I am not able to jig, cast half a day with that kinda weight unfortunately.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

mo65

Quote from: Gobi King on September 17, 2019, 03:33:56 PM
  The 4000 was just too heavy and big so I bought a 3000, well that was not much smaller, nice reel but I am not able to jig, cast half a day with that kinda weight unfortunately.

I can see where the weight would make casting jigs a workout. That's one plus about using these old heavy spinners for catfishing...the extra weight issue isn't really an issue when soaking baits. 8)