wintertime reel service for everyone.

Started by alantani, January 17, 2018, 08:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Well since we didn't fish last season I do not have my own reels to service. I'll try and get them in reel servicing condition this year however.  :-[ ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

I got our Tiagra trolling reels done a few weeks back. It had been so long since they were done they still had the Evinrude Triple Guard grease in them. The "fingerprint" of grease inside the plates had dried out but the screws were still wet with the thick blue grease. That tells me it had been at least 3 years without service. Maybe more.

You know how it is getting your own stuff done. I'm a plumber and still have a toilet that you have to jiggle the handle  ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Quote from: handi2 on January 18, 2018, 05:12:53 PM

You know how it is getting your own stuff done. I'm a plumber and still have a toilet that you have to jiggle the handle  ;D

Oh yeah! I'm a retired carpenter, contractor & home builder. My wife is a mortgage loan originator and has a real estate license. She enjoys updating & loves remodeling, mostly for the resale value aspect. I came from a very conservative mentality and figure "as long as it works why mess with it, pretty ain't necessarily functionality".    :) Leads to some very interesting discussions some days, especially when a reel gets serviced while the furnace filter needs changing.  ::)  Seriously, though, shes a sweetheart and supporting of the reel fetish.  :-* Probably grateful I don't spend time at the bar or watching sports.   ;)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jzumi

I have absolutely no excuse but yet I procrastinate.

Retired now so I have the time.  Currently laid up unable to go outside or do much of anything due to a bum knee.

And yet... I just have to wait until the motivation strikes.  Usually a few weeks before salmon season opens!  And then I'll be scrambling trying to get the boat serviced, rods and reels ready, tackle retied, downriggers serviced, etc-- all the things I sat on my fanny thinking about doing all winter long...

You may call it a flaw, I just call it a style.

John

David Hall

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 18, 2018, 06:06:17 PM

Oh yeah! I'm a retired carpenter, contractor & home builder. My wife is a mortgage loan originator and has a real estate license. She enjoys updating & loves remodeling, mostly for the resale value aspect. I came from a very conservative mentality and figure "as long as it works why mess with it, pretty ain't necessarily functionality".    :) Leads to some very interesting discussions some days, especially when a reel gets serviced while the furnace filter needs changing.  ::)  Seriously, though, shes a sweetheart and supporting of the reel fetish.  :-* Probably grateful I don't spend time at the bar or watching sports.   ;)   

Small world:  I too am a retired Carpenter and my wife was a Loan Officer / realestate lady before she retired back in 2001.  I retired to take on another career though, Ive been a building inspector for the past 19 years.  it takes me forever to finish projects around the home but my boats in tip top shape!  and you can bet Ill have all my gear dialed in by the Salmon opener!

Keta

You guys are amateurs, I am a pro at crastinating.   Things got behind the last year due to the kidney bolder problems and I do not want to face the task of catching up.  But I have started.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Quote from: David Hall on January 18, 2018, 07:30:25 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 18, 2018, 06:06:17 PM

Small world:  I too am a retired Carpenter and my wife was a Loan Officer / realestate lady before she retired back in 2001.  I retired to take on another career though, Ive been a building inspector for the past 19 years.  it takes me forever to finish projects around the home but my boats in tip top shape!  and you can bet Ill have all my gear dialed in by the Salmon opener!

It really is a small world I guess. I retired in '98 the first time. The Mayor of our city asked if I would be the Building Inspector & Zoning Administrator. I turned him down because I really didn't want to go back to work & didn't think I could handle punching a time clock. I worked 80+ hours a week, Sat, Sun, etc. but if I wanted to take a day or two & go hunting or fishing I'd just do it. Well, after a couple of years I got bored. Hadn't gotten deep into the reel collecting yet back then to occupy my time. A small city 7 miles away needed a Zoning Administrator & Building Official/Inspector so I figured I could always quit if I didn't like it. I took the job & really enjoyed it for the first 10 years but it started getting political & too small townish so after 14 1/2 years when a new Mayor was elected I retired for good. Now I work on reels, do honey dos & go fishing!  ;D 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

handi2

When I quit commercial plumbing to do new homes with my brother the plumbing inspector would stop by for an inspection. He would give me a pocket full of inspection stickers for the other homes on the street. Needless to say we had a good reputation. OCD all the way :D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

During my tenure as a ZA & BO/I, while issuing a citation, I had a gate locked behind me so I couldn't get out of the property & the guy called the sheriff & said he caught me burglarizing his property. I had no radio or phone so the 1 hour wait for the deputy was a little tense.  ;) I also had a junk yard dog (owner) tell me that the sand pit lake just north of town was 85 feet deep and there was more than one 55 gal barrel at the bottom of that lake. He also told me in front of his attorney, while doing a deposition in the State Attorney General's Office while the Assistant Attorney General was taking a break copying his bank card, that it was "time to break some heads".   ??? We ended up shutting him down, anyway, but the Mayor made me take a week off while the bulldozers cleaned up the property.  :-* The weirdest, though, and later funniest, thing that happened was when the mortuary was remodeling and I had to do an inspection while a family was making funeral arrangements. We had to use the back door so as not to disturb them. We had to go through a small chapel room and no one told me there would be a stiff in an open casket we had to walk right past.  :o I just about freaked out when I turned that corner. Couldn't get out of there fast enough!  ;D    

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

alantani

Quote from: Keta on January 18, 2018, 08:07:18 PM
You guys are amateurs, I am a pro at crastinating.   

lee, most of these guys haven't seen my garage.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I have, and I actually got to see the floor.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Lunker Larry

Fell into reel repair. It is still just a hobby but it keeps me busy and no arguments with the Mrs when I buy junk.
I've always tinkered and with little money I learned to not be afraid to tear anything apart to fix it. I started servicing/repair of my own reels, then a buddies and then a guide friend of mine. Then the local repair closed up shop and now I'm it. I keep it low key as a garage full of reels needing servicing would drive me nuts. None of my reels sit around long unless I'm waiting parts. Now, my reels are different. Fresh water is kinder to me than the salt you guys see so my reels meet with a shrug most of the time and get opened maybe once every 3 years. Each time I open them I tell myself gee this guy does a good job. I could of gone another year ;D
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Rivverrat

Well I full well knew I should'nt before doing it. 
But any way if you ever think about prying gears off their shaft "DONT".  With careful filing I was able to get the high speed gear back into service. However this gives me a great reason to replace the high speed gear of my Andros 12N  from a fast 6.4:1 to a more catfish friendly of 4.7:1.

Fella at Okuma said the gears couldnt be swaped.... I dont believe him. All associated parts are the same in all variations of this reel. I shall see ... Jeff