Fishing rod Good VS bad

Started by Reel Beaker, January 18, 2018, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi guys,

pretty new to the fishing scene, and i would like to know how to tell a good rod from a bad rod, What are the feature i should look out for while buying a fishing rod? One that can withstand the test of time with proper maintenance.

CapeFish

Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 18, 2018, 10:47:15 AM
Hi guys,

pretty new to the fishing scene, and i would like to know how to tell a good rod from a bad rod, What are the feature i should look out for while buying a fishing rod? One that can withstand the test of time with proper maintenance.

Guide quality is generally a good measure, highly unlikely that you will find poor quality guides on a good rod and same with reel seat. If both are no name brand it is probably not the best rod. Take into consideration though that if it is a cheap solid fiber glass rod that the blank will possibly last a lifetime unless you smash it very hard in a car door.  I personally don't like them but some people do.  If you are looking at a carbon fiber rod, check the guides and reel seat, if it is a quality brand like fuji then it should be decent and last a long time. Poor quality guides and reel seats fail sooner rather than later and are costly to replace, it can easily cost more than you bought the rod for.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: CapeFish on January 18, 2018, 11:07:33 AM
Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 18, 2018, 10:47:15 AM
Hi guys,

Guide quality is generally a good measure, highly unlikely that you will find poor quality guides on a good rod and same with reel seat. If both are no name brand it is probably not the best rod. Take into consideration though that if it is a cheap solid fiber glass rod that the blank will possibly last a lifetime unless you smash it very hard in a car door.  I personally don't like them but some people do.  If you are looking at a carbon fiber rod, check the guides and reel seat, if it is a quality brand like fuji then it should be decent and last a long time. Poor quality guides and reel seats fail sooner rather than later and are costly to replace, it can easily cost more than you bought the rod for.

How do i tell if the guides on the rod are good quality? Rod guides look all the same to me.

CapeFish

Check the brand stamped on them, if it says Fuji it is pretty decent, Pac Bay not bad. Same with reel seats. This is a bit of a rough rule of thumb though, what type of fishing do you do or plan to do? If you know then it will be much easier to give advise on good rods. Also brand name of the rod, most of the top brands make pretty decent stuff although on their budget models they will probably have no name brand eyes.

droppedit

I'd also check the windings on the guides. Most cheaply made rods will have painted trim bands on them. To me that tells me there wasn't a lot of time putting the rod together. I'd also check the spine of the rod. I'm sure there is plenty of info here on checking it out. If you are shopping at a store check all they have and pick out the best. I'd also check the windings on the guides. Most cheaply made rods will have painted trim bands on them. To me that tells me there wasn't a lot of time putting the rod together. Hope this helps.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

richard

Look at shakespeare ugly stiks.They make boat , casting,jigging,surf rods.Personally i like the ones with lined rings.They have decent fuji reel seats and are as tough as old boots.50 to 70 bucks never broken one which i cant say about some rods at five times the price! Have a whole bunch ,caught everything from marlin to bait.The tiger light jig stiks are superb value.Fish em for a while gain experience and then you might have a better idea of what you personal preference is.My two pennies worth.

Keta

Quote from: richard on January 18, 2018, 02:50:57 PM
Look at shakespeare ugly stiks.

A low end but well built rod.  A lot of my friends use them for Pacific halibut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Where are you located?  That will help identify what rods are available your region.

What are you fishing for?  Knowing this will help identify the type of rod available in your region. Also, there are some rod manufactures that build a great ultra-light rod, but their heavier classed rods are not as desirable.

Where will you be fishing from?  Boat, shore, beach, cliff,...?  Same rationale as what are you fishing for.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel Beaker

Quote from: droppedit on January 18, 2018, 02:10:32 PM
I'd also check the windings on the guides. Most cheaply made rods will have painted trim bands on them. To me that tells me there wasn't a lot of time putting the rod together. I'd also check the spine of the rod. I'm sure there is plenty of info here on checking it out. If you are shopping at a store check all they have and pick out the best. I'd also check the windings on the guides. Most cheaply made rods will have painted trim bands on them. To me that tells me there wasn't a lot of time putting the rod together. Hope this helps.

Dave

Isnt having exposed windings a bad thing?You might nick the windingd and your guides may fall off.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 18, 2018, 03:45:52 PM
Where are you located?  That will help identify what rods are available your region.

What are you fishing for?  Knowing this will help identify the type of rod available in your region. Also, there are some rod manufactures that build a great ultra-light rod, but their heavier classed rods are not as desirable.

Where will you be fishing from?  Boat, shore, beach, cliff,...?  Same rationale as what are you fishing for.

I am currently fishing from a jetty. The basic SOP there seem to be fishing for bait fish for other larger fish. Currently, i am using a telescopic rod to fish for these bait fishes, but these rods have their problems, mainly filmsy and sections sliding over one another. These rods also do not have many rod guides. I was thinking of getting an ultralight rod to fish for bait fish. Problem is i cant decide on the action rating. I am also hoping that the rod can handle a 4-5 pound queenfish with ease. Currently, living in southeast asia. The tackle business in the region seem rather bad here. Hardly, see any Penn, Abu Garcia and Shakespear rods here. Brands here lean more to Daiwa, Shimano, Zerek, Surecatch and Seahawk. Pretty sure you guys would only recognize the first 2 brands but not the others. Surecatch reels and rods are the worst i have ever seen.

Swami805

Any fishing clubs in your area? Most fisherman are usually a friendly bunch might be worth looking into.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ez2cdave

Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 19, 2018, 12:54:54 AMI am currently fishing from a jetty. The basic SOP there seem to be fishing for bait fish for other larger fish. Currently, i am using a telescopic rod to fish for these bait fishes, but these rods have their problems, mainly filmsy and sections sliding over one another. These rods also do not have many rod guides. I was thinking of getting an ultralight rod to fish for bait fish. Problem is i cant decide on the action rating. I am also hoping that the rod can handle a 4-5 pound queenfish with ease. Currently, living in southeast asia. The tackle business in the region seem rather bad here. Hardly, see any Penn, Abu Garcia and Shakespear rods here. Brands here lean more to Daiwa, Shimano, Zerek, Surecatch and Seahawk. Pretty sure you guys would only recognize the first 2 brands but not the others. Surecatch reels and rods are the worst i have ever seen.

Hi,

For your "large" jetty rod, I suggest a 9ft long Shakespeare USBWSF1530S902 rod https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ugly-Stik-Bigwater-Spinning-Rod/272373530820

For the reel, I  suggest a DAIWA BG4500 reel  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-BG-Saltwater-Spinning-Reels-BG4500/332416000633, filled with 20lb-test ( 9kg ) monofilament line.

For your ultralight "bait" rod, I would suggest a DAIWA BG2500 reel , filled with 6lb - 8lb ( 2.7kg - 3.6kg ) monofilament line. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-BG-Saltwater-Spinning-Reel-BG2500-Medium-Light-Heavy/182741945090

For the rod, I suggest getting a "graphite composite" rod ( The "Brand Name" is up to you ) in the 6ft - 7ft range ( 1.83m - 2.13m ), rated for the line strength and casting weight range you need.

Tight Lines !

philaroman

what's your budget?  Daiwa has some affordable LONG UL rods that would be a BLAST!!! for baitfish (yet, could handle 10lb+ by a competent angler): http://www.daiwa.com/us/products/rod/ultralight_sp/index.html
...but, that's more of a F/W rod with 2-6# line rating
look for something similar with 2-10# line rating -- that would indicate a bit more backbone, but still a light tip

conchydong

If you are in SE Asia, then I think you need to choose a rod that is locally available if you are looking at cost factors.  You are correct in saying that I am not familiar with the last 3 brands you listed but Shimano and Daiwa are pretty decent and you probably can't go wrong with either. Now choosing the appropriate rod suitable for your type of fishing out of what is  readily available to you is a different story.

philaroman

http://anglersresource.net/WhattoLookforinaTopShelfSpinningRod.aspx

good general info., esp. for matching rod to reel -- even a good rod isn't good, if you put the wrong reel on it!!!

if possible, bring the reel(s) you plan to use, when you go rod shopping!!!