Soaking bearings and corroded parts in corrosion x?

Started by Timber Tech, January 21, 2018, 01:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber Tech

So some of my reels have done multiple seasons without a service and have some build up on them. Is there any issues soaking bearings and some of the smaller parts in corrosion x?

Keta

None at all, I do it myself.  It is better to take the shields off the bearings and blow them out though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Timber Tech

Man, you got better eyes then me. The shields are a PITA. :P

Keta

I have a magnifier with a light from my rod winder, a 3/0-5/0 J hook works well to get them off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

I use el cheapo dental picks from Ebay - Like Lee I sometimes use a magnifying lamp.

Reel 224

Magnifying Lamp I don't know what I would do without mine, my dentist friend gave me one last year and I don't know how I did without it for all those years past. Great addition to the bench.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Donnyboat

Yes Lee- Keta, is right, the magnifying lamps are real good, if you can mount it close to a vice, is best, I have a watch makers set, that has a clamp set up, that I can lock the bearing into, then place it in the vice, that leaves two hands free, to tend to the bearing shields, the watch makers set also has some fine pricks for getting the retaining clips out of the bearings. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Best two reel tools I have besides Alan's wrench are lens and fat cat stool my buddy gave. No coincidence corrosion x is front and center.  Two cans. And one in stock you don't see.  Plus Speed X. P

handi2

Owner Light Mutu Circle hooks have worked the best for me the last 4 years. The light circle catches the smallest of locks.

I use #1 and #2 for all smaller bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

I have the magnifier light on the bench and a jewellers set with interchangeable lenses with a headlamp I can wear.  I can't even thread a line through a hook eye without magnification.