How do I upgrade a penn senator 4/0’s drag?

Started by Noahg727, January 24, 2018, 03:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

Shark fishing season is getting closer and it's time to start stacking bait. I'm looking into purchasing a used senator 4/0 to use to catch stingray. Some of the rays we hook into are over 100 lbs. I hooked into one last year that tore up a penn spinfisher 10500. Basically my plan is to get a used senator 4/0 and upgrade the drag so I could handle such fish. 1) is this a feasible option? 2) how much $ are we talking to upgrade it? 3) How do I do it? 4) would I just be better off purchasing a reel which comes with the capabilities I'm seeking?

Thanks Noah

day0ne

First, make sure you buy the correct 4/0, as Penn makes two. The best drags are on the red sideplate reels, the 113H. The black sideplate, the 113, reel has small drags. They can all be upgraded but the 113H has the most available upgrades.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

a stock reel gives you a working drag range of up to 15 pounds.  you can get ALOT more, but it puts a fair amount of stress on the reel.  a 114h might be a better bet for you.  an easy working range of 20 pounds, even 25, is what you can expect from this reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

In the "For Sale"section, there's a 7+1 drag kit that Bryan Young sells and it is also sold by MysticParts. With this kind of upgrade, probably best to change to a stainless steel gear sleeve(98-320AT or 98-320Pro) because while your drag will be smother, with less "start-up", there'll be an increase in avalible drag pressure which can round off a stock(brass) gear sleeve. Both units are in the $30 range. These are for the 113H reels.
Gfish

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on January 24, 2018, 08:05:50 AM
a stock reel gives you a working drag range of up to 15 pounds.  you can get ALOT more, but it puts a fair amount of stress on the reel.  a 114h might be a better bet for you.  an easy working range of 20 pounds, even 25, is what you can expect from this reel. 

If a solid N or NN frame (T4N1) is used the limiting factor is the spool shaft, the shorter NN shaft will take a heavier load.  I am waiting for a Pro Challenger double dog bridge to finish my T4N1, as soon as I get it I will test the reel.   It will also have a Pro Challenger "Versa Drag" type gear set. 

A cheaper but still good way to up the drag would be one of Bryans drag upgrade kits.

You can do a lot with a 113H but it involves $.  A 114HNN would be a powerhouse.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on January 24, 2018, 04:30:08 PM
It will also have a Pro Challenger "Versa Drag" type gear set. 

A cheaper but still good way to up the drag would be one of Bryans drag upgrade kits.

😮😮😮😢😢😢😭😭😭

I thought you were my brother from another mother and father?

😭😭😭😢😢😢😁😁😁🤣🤣🤣
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Not cheep quality but not nearly as much $ as replacing gear sets.  I love your drag sets and they have made some of my reels much stronger. I need another for my post '90 Seaboy 190.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Based on my somewhat limited experience, if I didn't wanna change to an aftermarket aluminum frame and/or side plates, I'd get the B. Y.- 7+1 drag kit, witha s.s. gear sleeve ana power handle a some kind (A.T. has some good choices). But with with a frame/side plates upgrade, I really like the HX gear set with a ss double dog bridge, both from Pro Challenger.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

A SS gearsleeve is close to mandatory when going beyond stock drag numbers.

Mark Twain

Bill B

Noah, just my .02 all the suggestions given are right on when hot rodding a 113H.  If you are on a budget like some of us, grab a 113H off the "bay" that has an aluminum frame add Bryan's drag kit and fish that reel.  When the brass sleeve rounds out upgrade to a stainless steel or just get another brass sleeve.....heck they are cheap and you could buy 5 for the price a SS sleeve. Right out of the box it is a great reel, up grades can make it an EPIC REEL.....just read through "The Tank Travels the World" thread and see what this can do.  Kinda like putting a blower on a Chrysler 383 Hemi and going racing for pinks......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bill19803

a  chrysler  383  is  a  wedge  head   not  a  hemi

Gfish

Didn't Chrysler make a 383 Hemi, a 426 Hemi ana 440 Hemi? I always wanted onea their muscle cars with the 340.
Gfish

Shark Hunter

Noah,
I'm with Alan on this. Get the 114H. They can be had for less than $100. Bone stock with a standard upgraded 5 stack will give you the horsepower you need.
Life is Good!

scrinch

Quote from: Gfish on February 08, 2018, 03:47:04 AM
Didn't Chrysler make a 383 Hemi, a 426 Hemi ana 440 Hemi? I always wanted onea their muscle cars with the 340.
Gfish
No, the 426 was a hemi engine. The 383 and 440 were high output engines (remember the 440 six-pack with 3 two barrel carbs?) but didn't have hemi heads. Back in the 70's I had both a '70 383 Cuda and a '70 340 Challenger.