Pangas

Started by Rivverrat, January 24, 2018, 08:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Lee & I were talking boats & the Panga & Dory came up. I've always thought this to be an affordable alternative to some other choices for some one that doeant mind the open design. From shallow water to deep they seem to be very versatle. Any one have one they use often ?  

... Jeff

Keta

Beached and ready to put on the trailer.

Getting ready to launch through the surf.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Cape Kiwanda, I fished with family there during the summer of 69.  launched right there, I rowed us through the first break and off we went, trolling for Salmon.  most awesome summer of my life.  I was just watching a bunch of those same videos Lee.
really brings back memories.  once or twice I got down and kissed that sand in the afternoon, after making it back in.

Rivverrat

steelfish

I dont own one, but all my life have fished on pangas, so, I know they are strong, reliables and cheap compared to a rig-out sporty fishing boat

as you can see with some imagination they can be modify to suit your needs, center console in the middle, center console in the back, build-in ice chest, build-in live bait, etc, etc

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Why cant I find one ? With two 200 hp outboards .

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/WXarX8A0Hgw

Rivverrat

Alex, you live in Panga Boat Land. What size motors do most run on them where your at ?

Tightlines667

Don't forget the 'Super Panga'.

We fished tuna and Sailfish out of these for a number of years in Zihuatanejo, MX.  Very capable, simple vessels.  Too bad the USCG has restrictions on importing/registering vessels purchased abroad.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Hardy Boy

John: Have you fished with Victor on the Jonee 11 ? I have been out with him at least 15 days over the years. great guy and I do like his panga. I love riding on the bow chasing fish around with the spinning gear.Had a nice double with a 120 lb sail and 100 lb striped marlin, an epic morning on big jacks in the surf and one epic tuna bite off shore ........................ good times.

Wish I was there right now.

Cheers:

Todd

Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 24, 2018, 09:25:04 PM
Alex, you live in Panga Boat Land. What size motors do most run on them where your at ?

At this side of sea of cortez capts normally use from 95 to 150hp, some even

At the Pacific side they use their pangas with 75 to 115hp máx

waves behive different at both sides of the Baja , on  Pacific the waves are bigger and longer so hoy can go with them or surf them
On sea of cortez waves are shorter but deep, panga is always "jumping " so with some wind those small waves are ugly, you need a powerful motor to ride them they say
The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Quote from: Hardy Boy on January 24, 2018, 10:03:29 PM
John: Have you fished with Victor on the Jonee 11 ? I have been out with him at least 15 days over the years. great guy and I do like his panga. I love riding on the bow chasing fish around with the spinning gear.Had a nice double with a 120 lb sail and 100 lb striped marlin, an epic morning on big jacks in the surf and one epic tuna bite off shore ........................ good times.

Wish I was there right now.

Cheers:

Todd

I sure have. 

He actually let me late on his boat (I got paid) for a 2 day Sailfish fly fishing tourney. 

Great fun!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SoCalAngler

If your not pulling your boat fully onto the beach I'd stay away from a panga. Not that their bad boats but just like Steelfish said with their flat bottoms smaller waves and even wind chop can make for a bumpy ride, sometimes teeth rattling. So one must slow way down or get beat to death. I like something with a more V'ed bottom to help withsmaller waves and chop.

Here is my fathers ride down in Loreto.

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 25, 2018, 12:34:05 AM
......  smaller waves and even wind chop can make for a bumpy ride, sometimes teeth rattling. So one must slow way down or get beat to death.

thanks buddy, that what I was trying to say, on a windy day if you dont slow down and make 2x or 3x to get from one point to another you back and knees will pay the price the next day.
The Baja Guy

Keta

There are days even a heavy deep V like my boat will knock a kidney stone or your fillings loose.  Close steep chop is worse than large swells.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

You got that right.

Like I said though you don't want to fully beach a boat with more of a V bottom.