Pangas

Started by Rivverrat, January 24, 2018, 08:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I get nervous in 4' of water.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

So with a panga, when yer beachin it there's no worry about jammin the propeller & shearin a pin?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

No, you have to raise the motor.  On the dories the motor lockdown pins are removed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Gfish on January 25, 2018, 02:35:55 AM
So with a panga, when yer beachin it there's no worry about jammin the propeller & shearin a pin?
Gfish
Quote from: Keta on January 25, 2018, 02:40:54 AM
No, you have to raise the motor.  On the dories the motor lockdown pins are removed.
When I fished pangas down at Palmilla Playa the panga operators had a piece of wood.  They would gun the engine on a rise like surfing and catch a wave.  At the same time shut off the engine grab it and jam the wood under the engine to hold it up.  If it was a slow fishing day that was the thrill of the day.  It is great fun to ride a panga onto the beach.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 25, 2018, 12:34:05 AM
If your not pulling your boat fully onto the beach I'd stay away from a panga. Not that their bad boats but just like Steelfish said with their flat bottoms smaller waves and even wind chop can make for a bumpy ride, sometimes teeth rattling. So one must slow way down or get beat to death. I like something with a more V'ed bottom to help withsmaller waves and chop.

Here is my fathers ride down in Loreto.

There are some differing designs regarding the Panga around the globe. In a lot of places like you describe they can be flat in the aft section like a dory without the rocker in some cases. I hope to build one some time soon when able.   
I was getting ready to start the build but life happened.

Boats & reels have one thing in common they are always in some way, at best a compromise that works for the desired end goal... Jeff