2018 Stella Debut

Started by exp2000, January 26, 2018, 02:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Rivverrat

Well I'll be surprised if that isnt the smoothest reel in it's class. It had bearings on top of bearings... Jeff

Chandler

2018 Shimano Stella      Japan fishing show 2018 JAN

Alto Mare

I got a headache just from looking at that one it the glass enclosure...maybe the boss would have a ball with that one ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ruffy

Agreed Sal, the marketing on things these days does my head in. Time will tell whether it's a valuable addition to the arsenal, I am guessing it will fall into the 'nice if you can afford it but not entirely necessary' category.

Andrew

Gfish

Fancy-schmancy. Too many parts in those Shimanos for my comfort level.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on January 27, 2018, 02:23:33 PM
Gfish

Some say shimano sells sells stella $1 per part used, thats the reason they cost $1,000 a reel
The Baja Guy

exp2000

Apart from the fiddly Stella anti-reverse bearing (not modular) and a few extra parts in the drag system, they really are not all that complicated. You pull the gearbox apart and it's the same as any other spinner - just better quality.

You can get a lot of enjoyment from working on such fine engineering too.

Baitrunners are more complicated I reckon, but then -  I'm used to working on them.
~

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on January 27, 2018, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: Gfish on January 27, 2018, 02:23:33 PM
Gfish

Some say shimano sells sells stella $1 per part used, thats the reason they cost $1,000 a reel

They sell them at all is something to marvel at.
Penn Torque please... Jeff

handi2

They are like working on other reels with too many parts to get the same thing accomplished. It takes me a couple of hours now after doing so many. I still cringe when they come in. Especially the little ones.

If you have ever used one for a while you would throw that Torque overboard  ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Alto Mare

Instead of throwing that Torque overboard, make a friend instead...I'll be your friend ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Keith is just kind of cranky.  I had two Stellas a few years back It didnt go real well. I had unrealistic expectations of those 2 reels. I'm sure not many were like the 2 I had... Jeff

mrwilson99

Hmmm....I'll stick to my Penn Spinfisher! Price is right for me, quality and a workhorse.
David

Gfish

Quote from: exp2000 on January 27, 2018, 04:31:28 PM
Apart from the fiddly Stella anti-reverse bearing (not modular) and a few extra parts in the drag system, they really are not all that complicated. You pull the gearbox apart and it's the same as any other spinner - just better quality.

You can get a lot of enjoyment from working on such fine engineering too.

Baitrunners are more complicated I reckon, but then -  I'm used to working on them.
~

IHMO, if you can master a Baitrunner for tear-down and rebuild, you've peaked-out on the reel complexity thing. On my old D or B or whatever it was,  I spent about 6 hours gettin lost in small detail, and messin up on system sequence, before I finally got it back together. And in the end, I decided not to try n' disassemble the baitrunner drag system on the bottom of the reel. Good trial and error experience for me.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!