Mo's 265 Microlite Project

Started by mo65, January 26, 2018, 04:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I've been dying to get my hands on one of these little marvels. If there was ever a perfectly designed reel, this tiny DAM Quick might be the one. Every aspect of it's design seems to be right, its hard to pick on this one. I started with a reel in good condition, basically just dirty. The handle was so stiff it barely turned. Fred has warned of this many times...the old grease used on these reels dries up. The seller described it as "action is tight but very smooth". Colorful description...HA!

Inside it looks as expected, dark brown original grease. This grease will fool you. It looks wet, like it's fresh, but a closer look reveals the truth.

Picking at the old grease with my exacto knife pops it off the gear, like old paint, just chips right off.

Here's a real head scratcher, the photo below compares the 265 Microlite's drag washer to the much larger 270 Super's washer. Yes...you are seeing correctly...do not adjust your set. Although the 270's washer appears minimal, it actually develops 10-12lbs. of smooth power, adequate for a reel designed to fish 20-25lb. mono. I'll have to admit, the little Microlite's washer looks like it would be much more at home in that big 270 spool. This typifies DAM Quick drag technology, almost every model has a unique drag design. There are multi disc designs, single disc, some even have hex drags. Much different than say Penn...who made dozens of models with the exact same 3-stack drag. This is one of the points that makes DAM Quick reels so interesting.

Since I'll be fishing this little guy in an environment where a lunker could grab the bait, I decided to replace that leather drag washer with a Carbontex. It looked like a Penn #6-309 size was a dead ringer, but it was actually about a millimeter to large. Would you believe that kept it from fitting in the spool? Tight specs...a DAM Quick staple. I used the metal washer to trim the Carbontex.

Here's the drag components polished up and ready to smear with Cal's grease. Question...why are the wave washers always so crusty? It seems like every reel I service the wave/spring washer is rusted, corroded, and has chrome peeling off.

Ahh...the handle...looks clean enough eh? Let's try applying some Brasso, a little polishing can make a big difference in these handles.

Voila! Now it pops...almost looks chromed.

Big difference under the hood too. I used Ardent Reel Butter on the gears and CorrosionX HD on the bearing and bushings.

I'm really happy with the outcome. I have a rod on the way for it, need to decide what line I want to use, I'll post updates. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Perfect job, Mike —

The light weight, metal spool, double supported main, steel worm drive perfectly inline with center axis of reel and drive train, large bearing, along with good design and appearance — make this one of my favorites.

These were not inexpensive reels in their day — circa 1960.

100 yards of 4 pound test, 5' Fenwick or lite Uglystik — unbeatable, IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Fine work brother! i'm in the middle of a honey-do and now i want to go the shop into that box of Quicks what's been staring me down with a stink-eye!

Tightlines667

Great looking little reel!
Good work on the restoration!

This reminds me, I forgot to follow up with Fred about acquiring one of these for myself.  Fred, I sent you a PM.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Midway Tommy

That's a beauty, Mike! I've always like the working and feel of the Microlite a little better than the 110, 110N & their successors. To me it just feels more like what an UL should be verses the later versions.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

swill88

xjchad

Really nice!
I've been looking for a good deal on a classic UL reel.  This is now at the top of my list!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Captain64-200

That's a beautiful little reel  and the internals are superb too ...
Fred from Biarritz ,

foakes

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 26, 2018, 05:31:43 PM
Great looking little reel!
Good work on the restoration!

This reminds me, I forgot to follow up with Fred about acquiring one of these for myself.  Fred, I sent you a PM.

John

PM responded to, John — Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Thanks so much folks! Hey Tommy, like Fred mentioned, that double supported main just ruins flex's day...hee hee! You're right, this reel has feel. This reel is solid, rock solid. On my reel, I noted the bushings for these supports were a tight fit, not much play. This is great, but when greased, it actually made the reel a bit stiff. I substituted CorrosionX HD and it feels more free. 8)

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on January 26, 2018, 06:08:47 PM
On my reel, I noted the bushings for these supports were a tight fit, not much play. This is great, but when greased, it actually made the reel a bit stiff. I substituted CorrosionX HD and it feels more free. 8)

You may be doing this already, Mike —but just a simple hint for others...

On the bushings, the tolerances are indeed tight — I chuck up a 1/8" bit in a drill, wrap "0000" steel wool around the bit — then run it through the bushings for about 30 seconds, or so — rinse the body and bushings off to remove any tiny bits of SW — then just a drop or two of synthetic oil on the shafts will cause it to be smoother than when new — with absolutely 0 slop.

The built in and German engineered tolerances are designed to last nearly forever without any further addressing.  But even after cleaning as we normally do, and a drop or two of oil — there is still a microscopic buildup that may slow the gears.

This simple process takes care of that issue —and makes the reel better than new.

Be careful of too much grease or oil.  One drop of oil in the exact right spot — is much better than 10 sloppy drops.  Small, freshwater reels do not need the excess lube like their saltwater cousins.  Yours looks about right.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on January 26, 2018, 06:28:36 PM
On the bushings, the tolerances are indeed tight — I chuck up a 1/8" bit in a drill, wrap "0000" steel wool around the bit — then run it through the bushings for about 30 seconds, or so — rinse the body and bushings off to remove any tiny bits of SW — then just a drop or two of synthetic oil on the shafts will cause it to be smoother than when new — with absolutely 0 slop.

Excellent tip Fred! I seem to remember seeing you do this on the worm drive too, where the spool shaft passes through. Thanks for sharing.

happyhooker

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on January 26, 2018, 07:49:22 PM
Quote from: foakes on January 26, 2018, 06:28:36 PM

Excellent tip Fred! I seem to remember seeing you do this on the worm drive too, where the spool shaft passes through. Thanks for sharing.

I take a similar approach but use my SS & Brass valve brush set. They quickly remove any old residue which helps free things up and usually makes them run really smooth.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)