Mo's 265 Microlite Project

Started by mo65, January 26, 2018, 04:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

All these great tips on one thread?
What a beauty of a quick you restored Mo. 
looks like it just came out the box.

Ruffy

I see that these reels run the spool oscillation off a second gear connected to the pinion down the bottom. How does this compare for line lay compared to a 420SS where the oscillation is off the main gear? My 420SS is my go to light spinning reel, are these considered much of an upgrade?

Cheers,
Andrew

foakes

Quote from: Ruffy on January 27, 2018, 03:51:05 AM
I see that these reels run the spool oscillation off a second gear connected to the pinion down the bottom. How does this compare for line lay compared to a 420SS where the oscillation is off the main gear? My 420SS is my go to light spinning reel, are these considered much of an upgrade?

Cheers,
Andrew

Those are both great systems, Andrew — just different — two great reels.

Others in this class would include the Penn 716 also.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 26, 2018, 09:29:52 PM
Quote from: mo65 on January 26, 2018, 07:49:22 PM
Quote from: foakes on January 26, 2018, 06:28:36 PM
On the bushings, the tolerances are indeed tight — I chuck up a 1/8" bit in a drill, wrap "0000" steel wool around the bit — then run it through the bushings for about 30 seconds, or so — rinse the body and bushings off to remove any tiny bits of SW — then just a drop or two of synthetic oil on the shafts will cause it to be smoother than when new — with absolutely 0 slop.

Excellent tip Fred! I seem to remember seeing you do this on the worm drive too, where the spool shaft passes through. Thanks for sharing.

I take a similar approach but use my SS & Brass valve brush set. They quickly remove any old residue which helps free things up and usually makes them run really smooth.

Ahh another tool I will be buying lol. Don't know why I hadn't thought about one of these little brush sets sooner. Thanks for the tip tommy. Mo awesome reel love these little reels, wish one of the microlites I have started out as nice as yours. Looks like you started with a pretty mint microlite.

mo65

I bought a nice low cost rod for this 265, my Fenwick purse only has some lint in it right now.:D  It's an Eagle Claw IM6 graphite 6'6'' Medium, nice fast tip, should be great for fishing soft plastics. It was only $23 shipped. For line I used 15lb. TufLine Supercast hi-vis with a 10lb. mono leader. Love the hi-vis yellow for plastic worm fishin'...sometimes you may not feel a pickup but with this line you'll see it. Won't be long until ice out, can't wait to fish it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Great rod to make the combo.  I see a lot of difference in the gearing of this and the 110.

Midway Tommy

Nice combo, Mike! That rod should do you just fine! Once you get to IM6 or 7 it's tough to see much difference until you get clear up into the Avid/Legend or GLX/NRX range.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: foakes on January 26, 2018, 05:05:02 PM
The light weight, metal spool, double supported main, steel worm drive perfectly inline with center axis of reel and drive train, large bearing, along with good design and appearance — make this one of my favorites.

I have to agree Fred, I'm really starting to like this Microlite, it definitely is an excellent design. 8)

mo65

Quote from: David Hall on January 26, 2018, 09:47:21 PM
All these great tips on one thread?

That's the great thing about the members commenting on one's post...awesome info gets put into all our hands. These fine folks' sharing of info has really boosted reel collecting. It has made eBay a fortune too...those chumps should offer senior reel collectors a discount! ;D

mo65

I have a situation with this reel that I could use some help with. The line was spooling on too far to the back of the spool. There are two washers under the spool on this reel, one brass and one Resistex. I removed the brass washer and line lay improved...but it got even better by removing both washers. The problem is...this leaves the spool riding directly on the ratchet. Is there another option to back up the spool? Can the oscillation be adjusted?

xjchad

Mo,
How thick are those washers?  Can you replace both with a single, very thin, teflon washer?

Is it possible to adjust the height at which the bail roller sits?  Maybe shim the bail stop?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Yes Chad, they are thick enough that a single very thin teflon would probably work. I also just had a though as I was tasting the pot of chili I'm brewing for lunch. Maybe I could take the brass washer from between the spool and ratchet and move it under the rotor. That would be the same as shimming the bail roller out while at the same time pulling the spool back. Might even be too much adjustment. :-\

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on August 09, 2018, 03:14:10 PM
   Yes Chad, they are thick enough that a single very thin teflon would probably work. I also just had a though as I was tasting the pot of chili I'm brewing for lunch. Maybe I could take the brass washer from between the spool and ratchet and move it under the rotor. That would be the same as shimming the bail roller out while at the same time pulling the spool back. Might even be too much adjustment. :-\

That's an interesting option as well!

And, I'm going to need a sample of that chili!  :P
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Chad is on the right track, Mike —

An original 265 Microlite has only (1) very tiny, but tough resistex ring washer under the metal spool.

That is all it needs.

Make sure the spool is settling down properly, and that the bail is in proper square alignment with the spool.

Things to remember —

The tolerances are very tight on these little gems — and they do not get out of adjustment unless something gets switched, bent, tweaked improperly, or the wrong line is used.

These were designed in the early 60's to accommodate mono line.  And 4 or 6 pound mono is ideal for this reel.

There are different spool arbor ratchets — the flat one is for a later edition 265, the other one is for a early 265.  They both fit fine — but with the tight tolerances — may perform differently on the spool.  I think they are the same fit though.

These are my favorite Microlite DQ spinners.  When knowledgeable anglers study the design, engineering, robust & durable materials, center drive train balance, simple bullet-proof function, and durability over half a century (and still going strong) — they find out why this is true.

If you need any parts Mike, just let me know.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

I just picked up a Microlite to be delivered today ;D   What is the "265"?  Is there more than one Microlite model?  

This will take the place of the Penn 430SS sold to AM ;)