Mo's 265 Microlite Project

Started by mo65, January 26, 2018, 04:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I'm not seeing any nicks...just a few paint chips...and what looks like light corrosion. I guess your term "divots" means paint chips. Tommy is right though, nicks in the metal will mess up light line, and wreck casting too. Your reel looks to be in great shape Parge...nice buy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Parge

Thank you all very much for the great advice! I did indeed use the term "divot" to describe the nicks. And as far as I can tell it's just the coating and not in the metal. I will go ahead and carefully sand and refinish as suggested. The cleaning solutions info is right on time, that was going to be my next question. I plan to get started this weekend.
Mo, thanks for the parts info. Once I get the reel disassembled, I'll take more pics of the questionable parts so I can get a complete list together for an order.

Parge

Oops! Meant the parts response for Fred. Thanks again!

Balvar24

Quote from: mo65 on January 26, 2018, 04:41:54 PM

Since I'll be fishing this little guy in an environment where a lunker could grab the bait, I decided to replace that leather drag washer with a Carbontex. It looked like a Penn #6-309 size was a dead ringer, but it was actually about a millimeter to large. Would you believe that kept it from fitting in the spool? Tight specs...a DAM Quick staple. I used the metal washer to trim the Carbontex.

So here's a general question from one of the un-washed masses.  Is grease required for some drag materials?  Is a special grease required?  I've got several reels in various stages of disrepair that could benefit from a new drag washer (some are simply missing one) when the time comes.

I've got a 265 with what appears to be a teflon or plastic drag washer that seems sticky.  Would something different benefit me here?

mo65

Quote from: Balvar24 on April 21, 2020, 12:50:05 AM
   So here's a general question from one of the un-washed masses.  Is grease required for some drag materials?  Is a special grease required?  I've got several reels in various stages of disrepair that could benefit from a new drag washer (some are simply missing one) when the time comes.

I've got a 265 with what appears to be a teflon or plastic drag washer that seems sticky (hard to get it to start spinning).  Would something different benefit me here?

Grease isn't really required for any drag washer material...although it is a benefit to carbon fiber. Cal's drag grease is recommended, or at least a synthetic grease. Especially in big reels which see long fast runs from powerful fish. In my experience, oil is better for leather and felt...and teflon and hard fiber both perform best dry. If your teflon washer is dry and clean, yet is still sticky, look under the spool. That washer is most likely the one causing your issues. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Drag grease on carbon fiber washers can also trap the carbon dust and keep it from migrating to where you don't want it to. Most of the dust can be removed by rubbing the greased-dirty washers across a clean towel on flat surface.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Balvar24

As my 4-year old would say, "Instuwesting." Thanks.

The Fishing Hobby

I love the Microlite reels. Very nice reels! I have one and a 110 and I like the Microlite better personally.

jgp12000

You are making me want one and I just told my wife the other day this is last reel I will ever buy ...

foakes

Quote from: jgp12000 on May 20, 2020, 08:37:22 PM
You are making me want one and I just told my wife the other day this is last reel I will ever buy ...

Hmmm...earlier in my life, I made a similar statement about this being the last reel I will ever buy -- this was the reaction I received...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

Fred, that pic reminded me of one my fishing buddie sent me.

Balvar24

Every time one shows up in the mail, my wife just looks at the bucket of project reels.  "Needed another one, eh?"

jgp12000

I got a battery box of cheapo reels I need to give away,Someone could use for parts or maybe make some good,I have too many that still work.

thorhammer

Cleaning up some DQ's- until I replace with carbon fiber, what, if any grease might work for the resitex?

philaroman

Fred says DRY for smooth resitex:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30309.0

is there such a thing as woven resitex?
I'd guess drag-specific grease (Cals,Shim,etc.) for anything "cloth-like"