dog and spring change?

Started by jzumi, January 27, 2018, 01:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

I'm going stir crazy so I started to take apart and grease an old Penn 155 following the 209 tutorial.
This reel is so old that instead of a coil type dog spring, it has a this copper strip.  This strip is not a very good spring and it is almost impossible to position it correctly.

Can I switch the dog and spring to something more current?  The pics show a dog with a "horn" that the coil type spring fits onto and it looks like the other end of the spring just fits in a corner of the sideplate.  Would this set up work on this old 155?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

John

Shark Hunter

John,
The 155 has a squared off dog.
Unless you are handy with a dremel tool and have the parts to convert it.
This is just how it works.
https://www.mysticparts.com/155LDogSpringInstallation.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Keta

I like the flat spring and they do not fly as far as a coil spring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cor

Quote from: Keta on January 27, 2018, 02:32:47 AM
I like the flat spring and they do not fly as far as a coil spring.
I second that ::)
Cornelis

foakes

i just slip the copper spring in place with a finger and thumb — while rotating the bridge about 40 degrees.

If you need more spring, just straighten the copper strip before inserting it into place.  Or replace it with a new one.

These tend to work better than a coil spring.

It just needs to hold the dog in position — no big spring strength required.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

I also prefer the flat spring to a coiled...as far as performance. They can be a bear to get in when you first try it. The best teacher is practice...sit down with a reel that takes a flat spring and practice. You'll get the hang of how to twist and align things...next thing you know it becomes second nature. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

jzumi

Thanks for the guidance. 

The reel and I have agreed to a one day cooling off period.  I'll take another crack at it tomorrow.

John