cedros sportfishing - date changed to september 3-7, 2018

Started by alantani, January 27, 2018, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I'm trying to figure what equipment to bring to Cedros for panga fishing in June. Haven't really done any of this type fishing before. All of my FL flats fishing stuff (3000's) is probably too lightweight, and I'll probably use some of their heavier loaner tackle if the bigger YT bite is good. But for lighter stuff like calicos, these are my options:
Spinners - Shimano Stradic 4000 and a Penn Battle 5000.
Baitcasters - Curado 300dsv, Lexa 300HS, and an Okuma Andros 5.
I only want to bring maybe 2 reels at most. I'm partial to baitcasters for plastics and topwater. Might check and see if they have some 30-40 lb rods I could borrow so I won't have to hassle with bringing rods.
I'm open to suggestions. Mark, you mentioned you were bringing a 300 Curado, so that's probably one I should include. The 7.1 Lexa might work for irons.
Mike

Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

i'm still checking with rosie to make sure that it's not an issue that yellowtail will be out main target.  that means 40 bait and 50 jig.  maybe 30 spinner for goofing around. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

There'll be 4 boats so it won't be a problem if some want to focus on Calicos.

alantani

i can't imagine that anyone will, at least exclusively.   :-\

MarkT

Probably not, I've had days where we focused on Calicos but we never went all in. We caught YT on Calico days too! Including on plastics and Alabama rigs.

What you focus on is between the group on your boat and your Panguero. They aim to please, they're in it for the tips and will target anything you want.

alantani

ok, so rosie says that yellowtail is "hit or miss" during june.  she does have 6 spots open in september (prime time). 

gentlemen, what say you? 

MarkT

I have my 10 day in late Sept/early Oct so I'll pass unless it's the 1st week of Sept. The two times I went it was in early August which is prime time.

Hardy Boy

I could most likely do Sept so put me down if we change. I would prefer to fish for YT . We all know fishing changes year to year and any trip would be fun so .................... ????

I checked with Rosie and she has rods and reels that can be used so you can put your own reef on one of their rods (thats what I will do)

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Wally15

Quote from: alantani on February 05, 2018, 04:52:48 AM
ok, so rosie says that yellowtail is "hit or miss" during june.  she does have 6 spots open in september (prime time). 

gentlemen, what say you? 

I'm completely flexible on what dates we go. We do have the SoA 8 day starting 8 Oct., so I would prefer going the 1st half of Sep if possible. We'll probably do OK on YT's on that SoA trip, so the YT bite at Cedros isn't that big a deal for me. I want to spend more time on calicos and other species anyway. In my case, this Cedros trip is more of an exploratory trip than a "fill the freezer" trip.
But I'll let the working guys who have to schedule vacations and family obligations around their fishing make the call on when we go. I'm "all in" for either month!
We had a fantastic YT catch at Cedros in June '15, and a so-so catch in June of '16. I think Cedros was closed to LR boats in '17. What effect does no fishing pressure from the LR boats have on the YT bite? Probably not much, water temp is a much bigger factor. Duh!
So we have 6 signed up? Who's on the list besides you, me, and Fish Hog?
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Bryan Young

Man, I wish I was retired and wealthy like all of you guys.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 05, 2018, 03:16:24 PM
Man, I wish I was retired and wealthy like all of you guys.

Not all of us retired guys are wealthy Bryan..... :D

This trip sounds like fun and I'm expecting daily reports and lots of photos.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

scrinch

I'm okay with either June or September/October. The only day I have already booked in September is the 20th.

alantani

september is open for me as well, and it's looking ALOT better.

QuoteHey Alan...

Honestly... If your primary target is yellowtail, June is hit or miss, depending on the water temperature.  How many guys are interested???  I just had a spot for 6 open in the beginning of September, prime time! September 3-7!  You'll have half the lodge!

Thank you!

Rosie Flowers
General Manager
Cedros Sportfishing

619-772-7570
www.cedrossportfishing.com
5663 Balboa Ave #493
San Diego, CA 92111

Hardy Boy

Sept sounds great and much better .................................. I'm in.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd