cedros sportfishing - date changed to september 3-7, 2018

Started by alantani, January 27, 2018, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

MarkT

Some notes on what worked for me.

I was using Eagle Claw 8/0 circle hooks and our Panguero, Arturo, was saying it was huge. I had no problem hooking fish on them and gave one, or two, or three, to farmer Ron who ended up losing them. Arturo offered him one of mine or an even bigger one from his stash. Ron took the bigger one and caught fish. There is absolutely no downside to going with big hooks when fishing Mac's for YT! Everyone I fished with ended up using 7/0 J hooks or large circles and locked in solid to YT. Some fishing smaller hooks had them pull out. I even caught 2 pelicans with the circle hooks solidly in the corner of the jaw! I used 50# mono leaders for bait and surface iron, zero reason to use less than that and I've never found that YT care about fluoro. For tuna use a fluoro leader but we weren't fishing for tuna!

At Cedros wear long sleeves, buffs, sunscreen anything not covered and use bigger hooks than you think you should... FTW!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

Tim, I'd wait to see the final product since you weren't part of the conversation (you'll still want the shirt, trust me! )

As far as the farmer comment, let's look at catch numbers before we start throwing stones. I do appreciate the hooks  and jigs though.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

BTW, although a good coat of sunscreen is a good idea, don't apply it like Ron or you'll scare the children!

It was really great fishing with the recently retired Chief Ron for a couple of days. Uh Ron, didn't I get one more YT than you? Four of mine were on the surface iron plus a boat load of Bonito and a surprise yellowfin croaker. I gotta admit that you are the croaker commander! Man, I've never seen anyone catch croakers like you... your brother will be jealous! We should've taken pictures of your haul. I think I must be the Pelican commander since I got 2 and didn't hear of anyone else getting picked off. They call people who hang out at the landings and steal fish from your pile if your back is turned Pelicans! I think you can tell why that is.

I'm glad you were able to get fish on both your magic Minnow and on the Tady 45 on both my iron rigs. Maybe I'll bring a 9'er next year and you can try out a "real" jig stick. You can't beat fish on the surface iron unless it's fish on poppers. There were certainly YT out there that last afternoon but the Bonito were faster/more aggressive than the YT. Oh well, there's always next month on the SoA for you or in a couple of weeks on the Excel for me.

Hardy Boy

Wow what a fun trip ! Those YT can can kick your a## and get you in the rocks in a hurry until you gey some tips from the Boss (never lost one after). The higlights for me were : my 30.2 lb YT. Pete's 25 lb grouper with a double  header YT for me, a triple YT, a dorado (thanks Mike) a nice 5lb Calico, some pinto bass, giving Craig a nick name, fishing with the Mook and the Boss, bs'ing with the boys, great cigars and better shots but most of all .................... just sitting quietly and listening !!!  ;D

I have to give a huge thanks to Rosie: she drove Ron and I to 5 star to keep our fish frozen while waiting for our planes , she spread mine out in the blast freezer, took us for a beer, piced up the fish and then drove me to the airport ........ service above and beyond !!!

Pics to come.

Cheers:

Todd (the Canook)
Todd

Ron Jones

Todd,
Love you to death brother, but I don't remember much listening on your part!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ldoret94

Know I'll see some of you on the SOA trip but can't believe I have to wait a year until we can head to Cedros again.  It spoils you!!

Pete

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

Wally15

Quote from: Hardy Boy on September 09, 2018, 03:31:38 PM
I have to give a huge thanks to Rosie: she drove Ron and I to 5 star to keep our fish frozen while waiting for our planes , she spread mine out in the blast freezer, took us for a beer, piced up the fish and then drove me to the airport ........ service above and beyond !!!

Pics to come.

Cheers:

Todd (the Canook)
You left out the best part, Todd. Alan and I drove to 5 Star to hand deliver Ron's rod tube that was left in Alan's vehicle. All 5 of us (Rosie, Ron, Alan, Todd, Mike) went a few blocks down the street to eat lunch at an In-N-Out burger place. My 1st meal from an In-N-Out. Place was packed with about 20 people ahead of us in line. I was almost late for my flight. But the food was very good. Too bad they are only a west coast chain.

GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

MarkT

Mike, there's about 30 In-N-Outs in Texas from San Antonio up to the Dallas/Ft Worth area.

Wally15

Someone (Mark/Alan?) let me borrow a 5" Big Hammer swimbait (red/green) with a red jighead, maybe 1 1/2 oz w/ 6/0 hook. I forgot to return it. I'd like to order some more jigheads just like it but I can't find them (it's NOT a Big Hammer jighead).
Anybody help me out with a brand name and source? I'd like to take some on the SoA trip.
GA Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

MarkT

Warbaits. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/WARBAITS_Weedless_Swimbait_Heads_2pk/descpage-WBSH.html
Pretty much all the tackle stores out here carry them.

FWIW, I caught at least one YT while slowly retrieving my bait.  I think others did too.  It's one advantage to nose hooking your bait.

Wally15

Quote from: MarkT on September 10, 2018, 02:09:59 PM
Warbaits. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/WARBAITS_Weedless_Swimbait_Heads_2pk/descpage-WBSH.html
Pretty much all the tackle stores out here carry them.

FWIW, I caught at least one YT while slowly retrieving my bait.  I think others did too.  It's one advantage to nose hooking your bait.
This head isn't weedless. Here's a pic to jog some memories.
Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

MarkT

I'm not sure what that one is.  Go with the weedless Warbaits!