My son's 180 Build (1st reel)

Started by xjchad, January 27, 2018, 11:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

From my poll post of what to build next, the 180 was the big winner. Since my son has already started taking it apart, I decided to have him put it back together. So here's his first build thread.
He started by completely disassembling it all by himself.

After the parts soaked in Simple Green for a few days I had him scrubbing and rinsing them really good.

Got to track down a few parts before assembly, but he's pretty excited! ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

Awesome! Hey...ya better get that plug in the sink! I've lost more than one part that way. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on January 27, 2018, 11:43:42 PM
   Awesome! Hey...ya better get that plug in the sink! I've lost more than one part that way. 8)

We use a metal screen  ;)

David Hall

Way to go.  Young man is really enjoying this.  How old is this young man?

Alto Mare

At the rate he's going, he will be showing us how its done in a couple of years...way to go young man! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on January 27, 2018, 11:43:42 PM

All this time I thought I was the only one... Jeff

Bill B

Way to go Little Man.....Can I send a few reels your way  ;).   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Good job Chad, A lot of skills involved in that project for a 7 year old, learning to use tools, dexterity and it doesn't involve a screen. I want too see that smile when he catches his first fish with it! Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Quote from: Swami805 on January 28, 2018, 02:34:17 AM
Good job Chad, A lot of skills involved in that project for a 7 year old, learning to use tools, dexterity and it doesn't involve a screen. I want too see that smile when he catches his first fish with it! Sheridan

Sheridan,
I can't wait to see him catch his first fish on it either!

I pulled the stand off the Squidder you sold me fir his 180 since it has holes for a clamp.
It has steel main and pinion gears already. Adding a carbontex drag kit as well.
Looking around to see what else we can trick it out with.
I think he's enjoying it as much as I am!

Captain64-200

That's nice working on some reel or fishing with your kid , I wish mine got some interest on fishing ,but he does'nt ,  he's 23 and most oriented toward girls and cars

I can't blame him  ;D
Fred from Biarritz ,

Keta

Quote from: xjchad on January 28, 2018, 12:09:40 AM
He's 7  :)

Good age to get him addicted to fishing and reel maintenance/repair/building and hopefully away from far worse addiction.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

festus

Quote from: foakes on January 28, 2018, 12:20:49 AM
Photo of the month?

Best,

Fred
Great idea, Fred!

7 years old, eh?  I see a budding mechanical engineer.

Donnyboat

Very good work Logan, just be careful, dad will have you fixing all his reels soon, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat