115 9/0, Death from Above Planer Rod and Reel

Started by Miles Offshore, January 28, 2018, 12:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miles Offshore

Good Morning all. Love this board, found myself reading several hours last night and i just keep jumping from one topic to another, lol. So i know there are guys on here that use this removable planer system like we do utilizing a #12 old salty planer and #200 lb braid for wahoo, tuna, etc. The problem with the old 9/0 is with the big planer there is very little difference on the drag (stock,old) when trolling between totally locked down and a little bit drag. I lost several fish last year, (and i hate to lose a fish) because i probably just ripped the hook right out.  Im going to the boat and get the reel and tear it apart later today and Thinking The 7-1 upgrade looks like it will do what we need it to do. Your thoughts and suggestions please? Thanks! Great sunday everyone!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

swill88

Welcome Miles and good morning!
There's no doubt you will get some informed opinions as the sun rises world turns.
Steve

Miles Offshore

Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Donnyboat

Hi Miles, the sun is just going down in Australia, good to have you as a member, & welcome, yes 7 stack drag, would do real good, read up on the tutorials on penn senator 114H 6/0, & the 115 9/0 have the same drag, set up, you may need some extra keyed washer & eared washers, cals drag grease, or a grease with Teflon in it, lube your bearings, with TSI 321 or a synthetic oil, grease the rest with Yamaha marine grease, not to much grease on the drag dog, or it may stick, & not pivot, good luck, I am sure some of the more experienced, members will chime in on anything that I have over looked, cheers from Don, in sunny Western Australia.
Don, or donnyboat

Miles Offshore

Thanks Don! Certainly do Appreciate it and will do! Now figuring out the when and wheres for all the different greases, lubes!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Ron Jones

Something to consider:
The 7+1 drag system dramatically increases the drag available compared to the current reel. It would be prudent to increase the strength of the reel prior to the drag upgrade unless you are the type of person that remembers that the drag can overpower the reel (I'm not.) A standard drag rebuild with greased carbon fiber would give you all the drag pressure you would need. Don't get me wrong, I think upgrading to the bigger drag stack with a select few upgrades like a SS sleeve and dog would make a much better reel. Sal once posted a picture of a 9/0 frame that tweeked with low 20#s of drag, the 7 stack can make considerably more than that so be careful and always, always, always use the reel clamp.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Where are you fishing from, Miles? I used the same setup for same purpose but now use lever drag, mainly because we had an extra. The new drag stack is exactly what you want, as above grease it plenty with Cal's drag grease. For your application, strongly recco a stainless gear sleeve and Alan's 5/0 size handle, which is a good inch bigger than stock and the blade is probably an inch longer too. In total your upgrades will make winch up the planer when you need to check the bait a whole lot easier.  This one of mine; it also has a Cortez Conversions frame and a T-bar handle. The new T-bars aren't as robust as the old Area Rule handles; the aluminum is thinner. Alan's handle blade is stainless which is better for you application of grinding it up at trolling speed.

John

thorhammer

Man Ron was typing while I was...the one piece frame in mine is to avert torqueing issues Ron indicated, especially if you are winching from the rod holder like i do.

Miles Offshore

Thanks Ron/Thor, that makes sense about too much torque on the frame, i have actually twisted one fighting a bigeye several years ago. Thor, i fish out of Va Beach. Can use lever drags but like most here in the mid atlantic, feel like i can get better setting and control with the star drag on the senator vrs the lever drag on an 80 international. Thor, if you use the same set up you know how dangerous it can be, i usually just have him slow the boat down and carefully lift/drop/pop the planer free. (Sometimes need help, lol. As far as winching it up , i dont even try , if I can free it we take it out of gear. Where do you fish out of?
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

thorhammer

NC. I'm originally from Henderson right on the border at I-85. You are correct, when that planer comes out you need to pay attention lol.

Miles Offshore

Gotcha, nice. I was just down that way over Christmas my son and his family live in Pensacola so we have been making the run down there via 85/95 a couple times a year. Do you fish out of Va or NC. Big yellowfin/ bluefin wahoo bite going off past few days at the point.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Bill B

Miles, the boys are spot on, Donny, Ron, and John.  Drags (with Cal's drag grease) stainless steel gear sleeve, handle and frame, in that order.  When ordering parts the drags, sleeve and handle are the 114H parts and the frame is the CC 115.  Good luck and show us how it's coming along.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Miles Offshore

Thanks Bill, i will for sure. Im on it. I will be ordering stuff tomorrow!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

akfish

When I read, "very little difference on the drag (stock,old) when trolling between totally locked down and a little bit drag," it makes me think the problem is that your drag washers are shot. If you have an old reel, it will have 3 thick drag washers made out of brake lining material; if it is a little newer, it will have a five stack but the drag washers are likely compressed and/or loaded with salt. If you replace your drag washers with a modern 5 stack of carbon fiber drag washers, you'll see a world of difference. A 7-stack would be nice, but the stock 5 stack with carbon fiber HT-100s is a great drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Miles Offshore

Thanks Akfish, thats kind of what im thinking, doubt they have ever been replaced. Dont know if you have ever trolled a #12 ol salt planer at 6/7 knots but it is extreme pressure and torque on the reel. The difference to keep line from peeling off and locked down is minute. Just Went and got the rod and reel off the boat and going to open it up shortly. Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.