115 9/0, Death from Above Planer Rod and Reel

Started by Miles Offshore, January 28, 2018, 12:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

before you go spending a ton of money, just add a light coat of cal's grease to the carbon fiber drag washers, slap it back together and see how it fishes.  i think you will be pleasantly surprised. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Miles Offshore

Thanks Alan, got the Calz today , going out of town tomorrow so ill be getting on it next week.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Miles Offshore

Good afternoon all, got my drag washers and cleaning all my parts up and kind of embarressed to ask this question , ive looked everywhere on the board for answers but I cant seem to figure it out so Im asking again, lol. Is there a special gear puller to pull the main gear or should it come off easily? It has a little "wobble" to itand freely spins on the main shaft. The main gear going by the main gear thread is the one that appears to have the bushing in it. I have another small gear pulling tool around here somewhere but I am yet to find it and before I go into total search mode I figured I ask. TIA!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Miles Offshore on February 07, 2018, 09:44:08 PM
Good afternoon all, got my drag washers and cleaning all my parts up and kind of embarressed to ask this question , ive looked everywhere on the board for answers but I cant seem to figure it out so Im asking again, lol. Is there a special gear puller to pull the main gear or should it come off easily? It has a little "wobble" to itand freely spins on the main shaft. The main gear going by the main gear thread is the one that appears to have the bushing in it. I have another small gear pulling tool around here somewhere but I am yet to find it and before I go into total search mode I figured I ask. TIA!

It should come off freely.  Sometimes a little corrosion, gunk, or marring on the main shaft may require that you use a little persuasion though.  I like to polish the bottom of the gear, inside of the gear bushing, and the gear shaft with some steel wool or a brass wheel on my benchtop grinder prior to reassembly to aid in felt smoothness.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Miles Offshore

Thanks John! Starting to tickmeoff! Guess I need to put a little more umphhhht to it!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Miles Offshore on February 07, 2018, 10:00:54 PM
Thanks John! Starting to tickmeoff! Guess I need to put a little more umphhhht to it!

Try to get the drag washers out first.  It may help to remove the gear sleeve from the bridge?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Miles Offshore

The washers are all out, i think i can see a small piece of raised metal (brass) at the base of the bushing that is the issue but Im not positive. Going to soak it with sea foam cleaner overnight until i can find a small gear puller or something else tomorrow to get it off. Thank you for the help!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Shark Hunter

It sound like you might need a new Gear sleeve.
Punch the pin out and take the main gear and sleeve off together.
Then you can see what you have.
Don't use a gear puller.
I can send you a new sleeve.
If you try to pull it off in that condition, you might damage the bridge and main gear.
Then you will need all three.
If the ridge on the sleeve is that pronounced, I would grind it down with a Dremel to get the main gear off without damaging it.
Life is Good!

Miles Offshore

Thanks Sh! I got it off, just a bunch of dried gunk and a couple of small places that need some attention. Into the soak they go!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Miles Offshore

Well , thanks to everyones help i put the reel all back together yesterday, new drag washers and reel cleaned lubed and boy what a difference I can tell already. Havnt put the scale on it yet but it really feels great, even if it doesnt look that great, lol. The old carbon fiber washers upon inspection definitely were bad. Thanks again everyone so Im not sure whats next, probably a 20 or 50 international.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Miles Offshore

Only thing i had to redo was i left the harness lugs off, lol.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

thorhammer

Nice work! If you didn't already, a light coat of Penn blue is in order on  the click spring, jack and bridge. You have a corrosion spot starting on the bridge plate it looks like.

Now let's see some fish pics!

Miles Offshore

Thanks Thor, didnt take pics when i closed it up but i greased pretty much everything up good! Fishpix coming soon, i hope, lol.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Donnyboat

Congratulations Mile nice work, now that you have mastered one Penn senator, they are all the same, the gearing looked pretty good, forget about the Internationals, this reel will last you for years, you should get about 600M of 100 lbs braid on it, and still have room for momo top shot, I would also grease the spool then rap, some tape over it before winding the braid on to it. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Miles Offshore

Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.