Fishing hooks

Started by Reel Beaker, January 28, 2018, 01:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

I use a Donmar hook sharpener for larger hooks.  It's basically two round chainsaw files side-by-side with a plastic handle.  You can create the same thing by getting a couple small chain saw sharpeners and taping them together.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reel Beaker

Alright guys, I have a mustard demon circle hook which i feel is not satisfactory sharp any more. Do you think i should try to sharpen it or just trash it? Mustard demon circle hooks are chemically sharpened i believe. And does anybody here uses the demon circle? What do you feel about it?

bill19803

i use  mustad  94151br 9/0  j hooks  for most  salt  adventures for  anything  under  20  lbs  Occasionally  one  from the  box  is   dull.
so they all get  sharpened  during the  winter, washed and  dried  and  back in  box.  use a  fine file   to  create  a  pyramid point.  for the  monster  fish  its   5  or  6 buck owners  in  20/0  or  26/0    and  they  only  get  8 hours duty  a  trip   so  i keep the old   but next trip i use  new. the old get  sharpened with  diamond  file  and  used  for top  hook  on  double hook  rigs  with 2  lb  squid bait.  the  top hook  is  nothing  but a  way to  properly  position the bottom hook in the  baiy.
i guess to  sharpen or  not  is a personal  thing  but EVERY hook  should be checked  before  going in  water 

philaroman

Quote from: Reel Beaker on March 28, 2018, 03:40:10 AM
Alright guys, I have a mustard demon circle hook which i feel is not satisfactory sharp any more. Do you think i should try to sharpen it or just trash it? Mustard demon circle hooks are chemically sharpened i believe. And does anybody here uses the demon circle? What do you feel about it?

depends on what size...
got a bunch of 1/0 25-packs really, really cheap -- definitely CHECK & CHUCK
if I paid full price for a small pack of 7/0,
I'd definitely try to give 'em second life w/ small jeweler's files