Ambassadeur 5000 Clicker problem

Started by retiredandfishing, January 29, 2018, 02:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Tried to find a post that dealt with this problem but could not.  Clicker on my 5000 will not click down and lock into the on position. Lots of resistance.  Following are the things I have already done. Hoping someone can enlighten me how to determine what the problem is.

Took clicker mechanism completely apart.  Cleaned it well.  Put it back together, oiled it and it still would not click down.

Took the side plate off another 5000 that I have that does have a working clicker, mounted on this 5000, clicker worked fine.

Took side plate from this 5000, the one having the problem, put it on other 5000 which had a working clicker, clicker would not lock down. So think the problem is in the clicker mechanism.

Clicker will slide down and lock into position if the side plate is removed. So put the clicker button in the down position and remounted side plate on the original 5000 having the problem.  Clicker clicked with no problem, but when I moved the clicker button back up into the off position and attempted to relock the clicker down, it still would not lock down. So same problem again.

Can't find any real wear and springs seem tight.  I'm stumped. This reel had old grease and grit in it and the clicker button would not move at all when I first got it. So think maybe the original owner may not have used the clicker much.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Steve

akfish

Something is bent very slightly. I suspect the side plate. I've had this happen quite a bit on old 7000s.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

nelz

Steve, I have a fantastic "hack" for fixing this problem without having to buy any new parts. It's for the older models, so post a pic of the mechanism and I'll explain (if it's the type I'm thinking of).

retiredandfishing

Quote from: nelz on January 29, 2018, 07:31:55 PM
Steve, I have a fantastic "hack" for fixing this problem without having to buy any new parts. It's for the older models, so post a pic of the mechanism and I'll explain (if it's the type I'm thinking of).

Will do.  Probably in a hour or so.

Thanks, Steve

retiredandfishing

Quote from: nelz on January 29, 2018, 07:31:55 PM

Here you go and thanks.

Steve

nelz

Steve, you're in luck, this is exactly the type of assembly it works on. The problem is the clicker over time goes off center and becomes weak or hard to engage.

What you do is stick a small piece of material between the endplate and the clicker "leg" part, as I've highlighted in blue. The trick is to slightly lift the part a little so as to center the assembly properly. You have to determine which side to apply the hack to by testing or eyeballing which side needs lifting. It only needs to be done on one side. Also, the material you put in there needs to be something that won't slip. I've used a little piece cut from a mouse pad.

I've repaired several clickers this way, some that were just weak sounding and others where the button was completely frozen. Hope this helps!

retiredandfishing

Thanks.  I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it works.

Steve

retiredandfishing

Quote from: nelz on January 30, 2018, 05:24:14 AM
Steve, you're in luck, this is exactly the type of assembly it works on. The problem is the clicker over time goes off center and becomes weak or hard to engage.

What you do is stick a small piece of material between the endplate and the clicker "leg" part, as I've highlighted in blue. The trick is to slightly lift the part a little so as to center the assembly properly. You have to determine which side to apply the hack to by testing or eyeballing which side needs lifting. It only needs to be done on one side. Also, the material you put in there needs to be something that won't slip. I've used a little piece cut from a mouse pad.

I've repaired several clickers this way, some that were just weak sounding and others where the button was completely frozen. Hope this helps!

Thanks Neiz.  Worked like a charm.  Had the clicker working in 3 or 4 minutes.  Terrific fix, much appreciated.  Your the man. 

Steve

nelz

oc1

Good Ambassadeur hack there Nelz.
-steve

Mic

Holy Hell on wheat toast Batman!

That's exactly my problem. I noticed some of the paint polished off where the clicker meets the side plate.

You Sir, are a BAD ####!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll let you know tonight how it worked~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

Thanks a big bunch Nelz

-Mic

foakes

Great solution, Nelz!

Thanks for your expertise!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: nelz on January 30, 2018, 05:24:14 AM

It worked for me too, Nelz.  I got a 5000B in the mail this morning with a bad clicker.  A piece of the bottom of a tube of toothpaste jammed in there worked until I find something better.

nelz

Glad to hear it Festus. I really like the 5000 size Abu's that have a clicker. The no "B" sideplate makes it a bit more collectible too.

festus

Quote from: nelz on April 11, 2019, 12:44:32 AM
Glad to hear it Festus. I really like the 5000 size Abu's that have a clicker. The no "B" sideplate makes it a bit more collectible too.
So this makes 2 Abu 5000 I have with a clicker.  Next Abu I'm looking for would be a 4600 with a clicker.  Might have to get someone to cut the tailplates of one of my 4600 so I can add the clicker myself.