Stuck spool cap on Shimano TTS 50

Started by MaxG, January 30, 2018, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxG

The cap came off relatively easily using Josa1's method of the shimano tool and whacking it hard with the end of a screwdriver (with biggest screwdriver I had). The threads are normal right hand and I will remember that for sure.
So thanks all for your suggestions.
Cheers
Max

josa1

ez2cdave

Quote from: MaxG on February 01, 2018, 11:36:06 AM
The cap came off relatively easily using Josa1's method of the shimano tool and whacking it hard with the end of a screwdriver (with biggest screwdriver I had). The threads are normal right hand and I will remember that for sure.
So thanks all for your suggestions.
Cheers
Max

Excellent news, Max !

Tight Lines !

MaxG

Just to finish off this topic
I'm happy with getting the cap off.
I tried to get the drag to work smoothly with the original washer but it didn't improve with a through clean and dry of the washer and adjacent areas, not that there appeared to be anything wrong initially. With not much idea what else to do I cut out a washer from 1.0mm carbontex and it is running nicely now.

I found a TTS 30 for sale amongst some other reels. "make an offer" said the ad that had been running for a while. So I enquired as to what price they were looking for and he wanted to move everything on quickly and $50 Aus ($40 US) would be sufficient. Bargin. So another cheap TTS will be added to the stable.

Thanks again for all the suggestions
Regards
Max

alantani

clearly the man is a glutton for punishment......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MaxG

Quote from: alantani on February 06, 2018, 01:23:12 AM
clearly the man is a glutton for punishment......   ;D

Yes. I'm not smart  ;D

alantani

no, i'm certain you're plenty smart, but just can't walk away from a challenge! 

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on February 06, 2018, 04:46:32 AM
no, i'm certain you're plenty smart, but just can't walk away from a challenge! 

Alan,

No need for him to "walk away" . . . The "Ohana" had his back !

Tight Lines !

steelfish

nice, the last time I have problems with the drag cap of a TT 15/30 I have to give some wacks with a rubber hammer and a big screwdriver to unlock the cap.

man, I wish I had one of those shimano tools
The Baja Guy

steelfish

The Baja Guy

alantani

no matter what, these can be tough reels to work on.