Hollow and Solid braid

Started by swill88, February 07, 2016, 01:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Lee... I'm still in the market for your JB braid.

I like you suggestion in an earlier post to put a long piece of hollow on to solid.

1.  Can I put 60# hollow onto 50, 60 , &  80# solid braid and get a smooth connection?

2.  What sizes of flouro can fit into 60# with a smooth connection?

3.  How long, or short, a piece of hollow do you recommend?

I'm thinking of getting a spool of 80# solid - 600yds and 150yds of 60#hollow.

Open to your suggestions and feedback.

Thanks

Steve

SoCalAngler

I don;t want to step on Keta's toes but there is a splice for solid to hollow spectra.

swill88

Ron Jones

I like the multiple splice. Its what they taught us in boot camp. In all honesty though, just running a couple feet of solid into the hollow and then tying a surgeon's knot in the end of the hollow will do just as well, as will the various crimps.

Steve, I would run 700 yards of solid in your situation and then put a 5 foot piece of hollow on the end to splice in a permanent leader or make a loop.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

Thanks Ron... that's about what I'm going to do.

Getting 1200yds 80# solid and 150yds 60# hollow.

Now for the needles...

Steve

Keta

1.  Can I put 60# hollow onto 50, 60 , &  80# solid braid and get a smooth connection?
Yes, hollow can be spliced to solid, Jerry just ties an overhand knot at the splice, I slip 4'-5' of solid into the hollow and serve like making a topshot.

2.  What sizes of flouro can fit into 60# with a smooth connection?

Depending on the brand I haven't had problems getting 40#Fluro into 60# hollow spectra, 50# is a bit harder, 60# is real hard.

3.  How long, or short, a piece of hollow do you recommend?
100' is as short as I like to use, 20' is probably as short as you want to use.  Some of my reels have 150 yards of hollow on top of solid.

80#/60# should work well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SeaBush

I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone know if 50# JB solid braid is the same diameter as 60# JB hollow core braid?

Is it reasonable to expect that you could get 350+ yards of 60# hollow and a short 10-15 yard 40# FC topshot on an avet MXJ G2 (that avet claims 470 yards of 50# hollow)?

Just trying to do some planning.  I like the 60# JB hollow, but I can fish 50# solid if needed.

CB

Keta

I only have info on the hollow but it looks like 50# solid is thinner than 60# hollow.  The 50# is much cheaper than the hollow 60#.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain