Gear slippage on Jigmaster 500

Started by TJPerez, January 30, 2018, 09:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJPerez

Hello,

I recently have taken some of my dad's old fishing gear and set about restoring it. The first one I've approached is an old Jigmaster 500. When I opened it to be re-lubed, the drag disks were disintegrated, so I ordered some of the carbon replacement disks. I followed Alan's guide on how to restore it. Tested seperately the drag appears to function fine, engaging and disengaging appropriately. However, when reassembled, there is gear slippage (I'm assuming between the drag gear and pinion gear). I'm wondering, does it sound like my pinion gear is shot or have I misadjusted something?

Any help is appreciated,
Trevor

thorhammer

Trevor what do you mean by tested independently? What is slipping, exactly? This should be an easy fix.

John

Gfish

Are you sure everything is assembled in the correct order? Everything's facing the right direction? Are you using a schematic or tutorial for reassembly? Is it possible to take and post pictures?
Woah, sorry TJ, I answered your question with 4 of my own...
What you are calling the "drag gear" might be the main gear.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

TJPerez

John,
By independently I mean that I attached the sleeve and star knob to the bridge assembly and tightened it to ensure that it wasn't the drag slipping. And by slipping I can hear the metal dragging, sounds like the teeth are slipping by each other.

Gfish
At work currently so pictures are unavailable. I followed Alan's assembly guide posted to this forum as well as took my own disassembly pictures. By drag gear I mean the gear that the drag disks are housed within.

Hardy Boy

Is your dog slipping ? If the anti reverse dog is in backwards it can slip and make a ratchet sound. I'm not totally getting what the issue is from the description. Gear wear should be easy to see if its bad by looking at the teeth.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Keta

Todd, The 15-500 AR dog is hard to put in backwards.

Quote from: TJPerez on January 30, 2018, 09:51:19 PM
John,
By independently I mean that I attached the sleeve and star knob to the bridge assembly and tightened it to ensure that it wasn't the drag slipping. And by slipping I can hear the metal dragging, sounds like the teeth are slipping by each other.

Are you turning the main gear by hand?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

joel8080

You might a longer spaceing sleeve as Carbon drags are thinner then original factory and thats why it's slipping.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

thorhammer

Yeah, if can get some pics we can get you set in short order. I think I have some pinions and will shoot one to you if that's the issue. when you assemble the reel, does it grind when you reel? Does the handle spin at all if the reel is in freespool and you spin it? If that's it, it's not the drag; the pinion isn't disengaging and more likely your yoke or jack is shot.

One more question, is the main gear (where drags are) steel or brass? steel isn't quiet like brass but stronger.

John  

handi2

I would assume it's the worn pinion gear or the spool itself.

Do you have line on the reel? If so when you tighten the drag and pull the line does it jump out of gear? Clunk, clunk....
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TJPerez

I will hold off until I get home for pictures. Thor what you're saying sounds like what I am experiencing. I do hear grinding when I reel. Visibly the yoke and jack looked fine, flat and no wear to the eye, but I will post pictures later for confirmation. Maybe my installation wasn't correct of those parts, again pictures will be posted when I get home. The gear sleeve is brass and I believe the main gear is as well based on the color of the tarnish.

mikeysm

Are you trying this with the side plate removed. The spool aligns the pinion gear. Without it the gear will skip. Nothing to hold it centered.

Mike

TJPerez

Alrighty, got home, disassembled and reassembled taking pictures along the way!

Main gear assembly. I see on the bottom near the bridge that there is clean metal where it must be grinding.

Pinion gear

Pinion Yoke and Eccentric Jack

Free spool lever

Pinion gear, springs and Yoke installed

Eccentric jack installed

Free spool engaging/disengaging

All testing, besides ensuring the drag wasn't slipping, was done fully assembled with no line on the reel.

Hopefully thats enough to work with. If theres anything missing we need pictures of let me know, unfortunately full time student and full time work so it may take a day to get them up.

Thanks again for all the help so far.
Trevor

Shark Hunter

You have your parts out of order.
The yoke needs to ride on the eccentric jack.
That is what those tabs are for.
Pay attention to this tutorial.
We are here to help.
I was in the same boat when I started here. ;)
Here is the money shot.
Daron
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20.0
Life is Good!

oc1

The yoke and eccentric jack are correct.  If it grinds when you turn the handle with the side plate removed it is because the spool shaft is not there to hold the pinion in place.  Without the spool shaft to keep the pinion centered it will not mesh properly with the main gear.  Put the spool on and then try it.
-steve