Gear slippage on Jigmaster 500

Started by TJPerez, January 30, 2018, 09:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

It's hard to tell in this photo but it looks like the tabs on the eccentric jack are up, they should be down. Is it a 11-99?

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

It looks like the jack isn't centered on the yoke. try loosening the bridge screws a little and center the jack so the hook is fully contacting the eccentric like it is in Daron's picture.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

TJPerez

The eccentric tabs are down. It is stamped 11-99.

JRD

Maybe it's my old eyes but the profiles on the pinion teeth look worn on some teeth and it looks like a lot of flaking on the teeth.

Check the pinion slides on the spool cleanly and engages lugs fully and without too much flopping around.  I'm still thinking some ones been in that reel.  Maybe a mis matched main and pinion.  If you have another gear set toss it in and see if problem solved.  If not, send me an address I should have a spare I can send you.

basto

Your anti reverse dog could be riding high and wearing on your main gear.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Gfish

A-course I could be wrong, but it looks n' sounds like your assembly's correct. If it's what basto says, is the red fiber washer in place UNDERNEATH the main("drag") gear and on topa the gear sleeve antireverse cog? If it isn't, That could conceivably cause the main gear to rub on the antireverse dog when cranking with a tight drag. The main would also wear on the cog(the bottom of the gear sleeve) without that red washer, when the drag is working(allowing the main gear/pinion/spool to turn backwards and pay out line).

Got a feeling you're gonna tell us that ain't it, which is cool. This is an interesting thread/problem, keep it commin...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

franky

Is that the original gear and pinion set or is it a high speed aftermarket gear and pinion set?

SoCalAngler

My guess and it's only a guess is there may be two things wrong. First in the pics I can't see if the dog is facing the correct way to the ratchet. If the reel was not "slipping" before the service 90% of the time the dog is flipped upside down. If the dog is correct the another 5% of the time is the dog spring not staying in place, how can I say it? When the bridge plate is rotated into place pushing on the springs. yoke and jack the dog spring can move out of alignment with the dog.

Does this reel have the flat copper type dog spring? I don't see it in the photos and as we all know keeping that in place while rotating all the other parts so the "pop" into place is a pain. Personally I think this is where the issue may be.  

The last 5% is all about trying things step by step.  

Alto Mare

You might also want to check if the eccentric spring is sticking up on the eccentric a bit much, the red arrow is showing a scrape on the Jack by that spring. If you feel  that it is sticking up, you will need to file it down even with the eccentric.
I also noticed the tab on the right side is a little further up from the one on the left, might be a bad angle, but if that's the case , you will need to lower it a little and try to get it in the same position as the one on the left.

Red arrow shows the scrape on the Jack and the blue arrow shows the tab being lifted a little

Red arrow shows where the tip of the spring needs to be filed down o the eccentric

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TJPerez

The saga continues! Thanks again guys for all your continued assistance. So I disassembled again and took a few more pictures based on the responses and tested a few more things to see if I can help to narrow my issue down. Again any opinions will be tested to the best of my ability.

Here is the gear sleeve and dog with spring. The dog looks very flush to the gears as well as in the next picture I have the washer on top with a gap.

Here is the fiber washer, however I am using the Carbontex included with the set I purchased from Scotts

To try to isolate the dog as being a cause of the issue I tested it dragged down without the assemble around it and it was smooth no hang-ups.

When reassembled with the free spool lever in "Off" there's is still some reeling movement, causing me to believe it isn't fully disengaging, but no grinding noise. In "On" it is rough to move and grinds.

Alto you mean just the spring where it may stick through the barrel, not the barrel part that connects to the lever correct? I will look at that.

This reel has been sitting in my dads rafters for as long as I can remember, may have even been my grandfathers at some point, and I don't think its been touched since the late 80's maybe 90's. I can't comment as to if any work was done to it and my dad can't remember its been so long, but I can fairly certainly suggest that nothing that could have been done would be an "upgrade".

TJPerez

Quick update after re-looking at the Eccentric Jack and playing around with it on the yoke, when it is pushed down it looks like it encroaches on the main gear. I looked at the inside of the tabs, the parts nearest the main gear housing and they look like fresh metal as well. So I will order a new eccentric to replace that. Hopefully this is the cause!!

TJPerez

Does anyone know of any tackle stores that might carry the eccentric in the S.F. Bay Area, or somewhere it won't cost $5 to ship :o?

handi2

PM me your address and I will send you one. It might take a few days to get there with regular mail.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TJPerez

Shot you an email Keith. Thank you!

David Hall

Looks
Ike you're eliminating the possible causes.  Stick with it.  Be assured that if the correct parts are installed in the correct order, it must work, if it doesn't then keep looking, with metal scraping the location should become obvious if everything was cleaned well before assembly and you take it apart.  I had one tha tthe spool edge was rubbing on a bridge screw, sounded horrible, stuck and grind.  Took me a bit of time but I finally found it.  Ground the screw down and all was well.  Your in the right place, stick with it you cannot fail with all the help your going to get.