Gear slippage on Jigmaster 500

Started by TJPerez, January 30, 2018, 09:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJPerez

Hopefully! It has been fun and educational figuring this reel out. Makes me a lot more confident moving on with reel maintenance. Next up is seeing what I actually manage catch with it  ;D.

Bryan Young

TJ, where in the sf Bay Area are you located?  Alan and I are both in the South Bay.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

TJPerez

Cortez_Conversions

Just my opinion, but in the last few pics there is a lot of grease around the dog. That could slow the dog as it rebounds...
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

scrinch

The bushing and spool spindle are what keep the main and pinion gear laterally engaged when you are reeling. Any chance of a loose, off-center, or deformed bushing, or a bent/broken spindle? If so, I would expect the spool to rub too.

Bryan Young

If you come down to the South Bay, we can help you figure things out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jim Fujitani

Now that is an invitation!!

If I had that invite 20 years ago, Alan and Bryan would have probably charged me rent for the time spent in their garages.  I'd have gained a lot of correct and valuable info rather than through trials and tribulations.

Keta

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on February 02, 2018, 04:16:49 PM

If I had that invite 20 years ago, Alan and Bryan would have probably charged me rent for the time spent in their garages. 

Na, Alan would just make you clean his shop like he does to me.... ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on February 02, 2018, 04:16:49 PM

If I had that invite 20 years ago, Alan and Bryan would have probably charged me rent for the time spent in their garages.  I'd have gained a lot of correct and valuable info rather than through trials and tribulations.
Jim, we would have encouraged you to post your trials and tribulations as I'm sure we have all gone down those paths, and how you have came out the better. It's all about you, not us.

TJPerez

I believe the spool is making a solid connection with both the left side and the pinion. I may have gotten a bit overzealous with the grease and can wipe some away but the dog hasn't shown any issues with staying with the gear. Bryan, I am going to see if this fix works when I receive the eccentric. If not I may have to take you up on your offer.

TJPerez

Received my package from Keith today, swapped the eccentric out, filed down the protruding part of the free spool spring and we are in business now! I wanted to make sure and thank everyone for your advice and help.
Time to go catch some fish.

Trevor

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Rivverrat

It's a great thing to see someone come here & get stuff fixed... Jeff

Gfish

Cool!
But I godda ask, was it the eccentric jack, or the spring end sticking up, that was causing the problem? If it was the e. Jack, then what specifically was off on it? Kinda sounds like the "sticking up spring end" was affecting proper e. Jack movement.
It's a learning thing...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!