Shimano Calcutta 400 - carbontex upgrade

Started by redsetta, July 12, 2011, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

first thought is that the drag stack is too high and it's rubbing against the sideplate.  any possibility that one of the original drag washers was not removed?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Board4life

No... All old drag were removed and replaced. The dog ears are making contact and it appears to be perfect. I did two conversions and they both have the same outcome. I am about to put the old ones back in and see if that fixes it. Making sure it isn't something else that I overlooked.

And when I tighten down the drag, nothing changes. Still feels the same. Not sure that is helpful.

alantani

if the topmost metal drag washer is rubbing against either the side plate or the anti-reverse roller bearing, it will usually get worse when you back off the star.  when the star is rubbing against the side plate, it will get worse when you crank down on the star.  if there is no difference, then the resistance is somewhere else in the drive train. 

Board4life

Quote from: alantani on August 08, 2011, 05:59:01 PM
can you tell if the topmost metal drag washer is rubbing against either the side plate or the anti-reverse roller bearing?

Winner... You are good. So I pressed everything down as far as it will go and it is still rubbing. Do I just have to replace one of the carbontex with a thinner one? Or did I get the wrong size kit?

redsetta

G'day all,
I'm looking for a replacement Calcutta 400 frame (#BNT-3367), if anyone has an old one (in reasonable condition) laying around...
The one I'm replacing is badly corroded.
It's just over $150 for a new one (here in NZ), so any improvement on that would probably be worthwhile (depending on postage).
PM me if you can assist...
Cheers in advance, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

george.s

Quote from: redsetta on September 19, 2011, 01:43:46 AM
G'day all,
I'm looking for a replacement Calcutta 400 frame (#BNT-3367), if anyone has an old one (in reasonable condition) laying around...
The one I'm replacing is badly corroded.
It's just over $150 for a new one (here in NZ), so any improvement on that would probably be worthwhile (depending on postage).
PM me if you can assist...
Cheers in advance, Justin
I just got a price here in Australia they are $100 I don't know how much it would cost to send it to NZ.

redsetta

Thanks George, much appreciated.
I'll do the sums and let ya know...
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Board4life

Just an update... The drag washers were too thick. However, they were replaced with the correct size... and rather fast I might add... and the reel works perfectly again.

Side note... Does anyone happen to have an extra Side plate bolt (#1698) and Washer (#3290) for the Calcutta 400B they aren't using? If so, how much you want for it?

alantani

call shimano at 877-577-0600.  they often send out small orders like that for free.  alan

henryjpeterson

Fantastic thread. My ols Calcutta is like new again. Thank you all for contributing. Really helpful to a noob like me.

alantani

henryjpeterson

Hey gang,

Replaced my drag washers over the winter with the help of this thread. Finally took my old Calcutta 400 out to fish yesterday. Was difficult to cast. The free spool didn't seem as free as it had been in the past. Some of the guys I was fishing with were wondering about the braking system on it, if there were magnets under the left side plate I could adjust. I had no idea if it had any or not, because I didn't take off the left side plate. Only the right side plate with the real handle and drags.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions on how to rectify my not-so-free spool that would be great.  I would much appreciate any tips you could offer.

Thank you all in advance!

alantani

no magnets on the calcutta, but there are plenty of things that would slow it down.  for the maximum amount of spin, i would recommend cleaning parts with carb or brake cleaner, them dip them in tsi 301.  we are looking at all the spool bearings, the pinion gear and the levelwind assembly.  it's going to be a big job pulling out the levelwind. 

JasonF

Using this thread in combination with Alan's CT400 thread on seƱortuna, I had my first experience at complete disassembly and drag swap to cf washers.  I have to say that it was a bunch of fun!  Now I am ordering upgrade drags for all of my reels just to have the excuse to take them apart.  Cheers! J