Pro Gear Albacore Special 542 Drags

Started by mrwilson99, February 06, 2018, 10:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwilson99

For those who own a Pro Gear ABS 542, what types of drags are you guys running? Stock or something else? I serviced my reel today and looks like a 3 stack thick drag with thick metal washers.

Any other alternatives to increase stacks?
David

MarkT

The 542 is a wider 540.  I don't think anyone makes washers for them.  Dawn at Smooth Drag might have something that would fit. Otherwise you can get some sheets of Carbontex from SmoothDrag in the appropriate thickness and cut them out yourself using one of the stainless washers as a template.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mrwilson99

Bummer! I think I will run into issues with thinner drags as the current drag/washers are thick. Will do some more research.
Thanks for your response!

Quote from: MarkT on February 06, 2018, 11:01:14 PM
The 542 is a wider 540.  I don't think anyone makes washers for them.  Dawn at Smooth Drag might have something that would fit. Otherwise you can get some sheets of Carbontex from SmoothDrag in the appropriate thickness and cut them out yourself using one of the stainless washers as a template.
David

Bryan Young

I believe I used PENN 115L drag washers. What are the dimensions?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mrwilson99

I will open up the reel this weekend and measure.

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 07, 2018, 03:54:31 AM
I believe I used PENN 115L drag washers. What are the dimensions?
David

Bryan Young

My reels with the same gear are in the safe and it's not easy to get to the safe.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D