Penn Long Beach early #60

Started by nelz, February 07, 2018, 02:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

It's official, I've got the collecting bug! I just picked up this ratty old Penn Long Beach, not sure of the year, I'm guessing 1937? Has a waffle clicker, 4 post, says 250yd on foot. Anyway, it's seriously messed up, but the restoration is under way...

Couple of questions:

- Year?

- I'm kind'a stuck on putting back the AR dog and leaf spring. I'm not sure if the dog is deformed or is it supposed to look like this? (pic #3)
- Does anybody have a photo showing how the dog and spring it go in? It fell apart before I got a chance to see it.

I will post pics of the completed reel when it's done. Thanks!

Shark Hunter

No,
It is definitely not supposed to look like that.
Life is Good!

Gfish

That's the most worn AR dog I've seen to date. Looks like it could easily bend or break from high drag pressure. Will post a pic. soon, as I just started to rebuild a 180.
Gfish

Sorry, maybe latter, I can't seem ta post a picture right now?!?!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Quote from: Gfish on February 07, 2018, 03:25:35 AM
That's the most worn AR dog I've seen to date. Looks like it could easily bend or break from high drag pressure.

Yeah, the whole reel's pretty worn. Btw, the shiny spots on that dog are from where I filed it to remove some burrs. The gears are a mess too, as you can imagine. Definitely not going to be fishing with it.

Penn Chronology

QuoteIt's official, I've got the collecting bug! I just picked up this ratty old Penn Long Beach, not sure of the year, I'm guessing 1937? Has a waffle clicker, 4 post, says 250yd on foot. Anyway, it's seriously messed up, but the restoration is under way...

Couple of questions:

- Year?

- I'm kind'a stuck on putting back the AR dog and leaf spring. I'm not sure if the dog is deformed or is it supposed to look like this? (pic #3)
- Does anybody have a photo showing how the dog and spring it go in? It fell apart before I got a chance to see it.

I will post pics of the completed reel when it's done. Thanks!

That is a good guess. Actually you are only one year off, it is a 1938 Model 60 Long Beach.

Here is a generic photo of how the dog should be mounted and basically how the dog should look. The one in my photo is worn but still useable. Yours is kind of done. I guess it would still work; but, not for fishing.

Reel 224

My two cents,looks like the dog is riding up on the main gear or the main gear is worn or both Never the less it should be gone over and rebuilt if you are going to use it.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

nelz

Thank you Mr. Penn Chronology, that's just what I needed.

As far as using it, the gears work but are pretty rough. It will serve as both a display and to assist in line changes on my other reels. Still needs a working dog though, and Fred is sending one my way.

Reel 224

Check the main gear for a washer underneath. That could be missing and that would explain the ware and misalignment if that's the case.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

nelz

Joe, the gear teeth are no longer straight, they are curved, never seen wear like that. I'll post a pic after I open it up again to install the dog.

Tightlines667

My tendancy regarding restoration of Prewar Penns, has been a very minimal approach.  If the reel is missing a screw, handle, or other part, has a cracked plate, or is a mismatch of parts from different reels, or has incorrect (later version) parts, then I will try to replace to get the period-correct complete reel.  But otherwise my restoration work is simply to remove the line from the spool, arrest any corrosion, and lightly oil.  Any serious cleaning or polishing, or upgrading if parts will likely detract from its correctness, and may affect value/collectability.  Most of the prewar Penn's I see in collections are in rough looking and working order, and I think there is a reason they are left that way. 

Conversely, post war reels can be restored to closer to like new condition with a careful/thoughtful approach and by mixmatching period-correct parts. 

You can in theory do this with prewar reels, it is just much more challenging due to the materials, manufacturing processes used, and scarcity of NOS quality parts. 

Just a thought. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

Penn Chronology

QuoteThank you Mr. Penn Chronology, that's just what I needed.

As far as using it, the gears work but are pretty rough. It will serve as both a display and to assist in line changes on my other reels. Still needs a working dog though, and Fred is sending one my way.

Glad to help.

Fred is irreplaceable.

nelz

What worn gears look like...

David Hall

That reel has seen some heavy use.

nelz

Been making alot of home-run deals lately, gotta strike out every now and then.  ::)  I think this may have been a head boat reel in a past life.