Anyone bring a "travel kit" of tools with them?

Started by biggiesmalls, February 18, 2018, 08:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Does anyone have a small kit that they will bring on fishing trips with them, in order to service their reels? If so, what do you include in it?
Starting to prepare for the summer trips now - I don't want to pack too heavy, but I don't want to be caught without something I may need. Just wanted to see if anyone thought it would be worth bringing some basic servicing tools/materials with me.

Thanks,
Drew

FatTuna

On fishing trips, no. Not worth having to deal with more stuff and more weight. I like to fish as hassle free as possible. Instead, I usually keep an extra setup in my truck. Easier to just swap rods and than trying to fix something. Better to do it back home.

For a boat, I usually have a generic tool kit on board.

If I'm traveling out of state, I will keep a tool box in my truck.

George6308

I keep a Lutz screwdriver in my tackle box along with a Penn reel tool. I always have an extra rig handy.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

philaroman

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 18, 2018, 09:25:56 PM
Something like this.

https://m.harborfreight.com/26-piece-ratchet-screwdriver-set-96733.html

Plus a wrench and long nose pliers.

could be that & more
could be a dime (Canadian, in case I loose it... LOL)
depends on situation

Gfish

Inna Kayak, the big Leatherman does it for me wether I'm gutin or de-hookin a fish, or fixin somethin. Other than than that, a good sissors to cut line. My car's a diffrent story, the basics +. I even got small amounts of lubricants, nuts, screws, a 12v tester, fuses, etc., etc.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

No, never.

Simply because I'm fishing.... I'm out to fish not to service my reel. There is always extra room in my tackle bag or pack for an extra fully serviced reel or two.

My experience under the conditions I fish is servicing a reel while fishing is asking for lost parts or other problems I dont need.... Simply because I'm fishing.

However if I was limited to one reel or just two I would not only carry a small pouch of tools but also spare parts.... Simply because I'm fishing.  

I dont want any such nonsense stopping it... Jeff

newfuturevintage

Generally just an extra reel or two and a tiny container of thin oil.

handi2

I'm always in a boat. We carry a tool box full of stuff thaty stays on the boat. Ive never had to repair a reel when we are out. If one did break we have enough to grab another.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

Even when I'm just fly fishing (most of my fishing) I just bring a complete spare outfit - If I'm fishing it's not about fixing :-\
If I'm rock or surf fishing I do carry a Leatherman Wave - just in case.
If I'm the other side of the world then I may take a few more 'items' ;D

grekim

The bail screw loosens on one of my Mitchell 302's.   So a flat head screwdriver goes out in the water with me.  I keep a Penn wrench in the car plus a spare reel.
Educating fish on every trip

SoCalAngler

Nope, but like others I keep a basic multi-tipped screwdriver along with some of the most used tips, one Penn, Daiwa and a small crescent wrench in my tackle boxes. Along with those I always have needle nose pliers and side cutters along for the ride.

IMO fishing is for fishing though most of the time I bring more rods and reels than I need so swapping out one setup for another if there is a problem is not an issue. When I only need one setup I will bring 2 maybe 3, when three setups most likely will be used I'll have 4-5 and so on. I try to limit myself but I always have at least one setup that never see's any action.