Mark reviews new 50's

Started by swill88, February 12, 2018, 01:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Good comparisons of the three manufacturers. 
I like abets, but have none of there LRS  bigger 2 speeds and I've crushed a bearing or two just by adjusting the preset to high and then moving the LD to strike position, before I came here and learned better of course!
Ahem, so does anyone know if the sideloading on the bearings is systemic throughout Avets line up or is that just on there smaller older single speeds?

akfish

Side load occurs in virtually all lever drag reels when drag is pushed too high and the pinion bearing is crushed. It is dramatically reduced in the Avet Raptor series because they apply drag from both sides of a single drag washer and it's rarely necessary to push the drag hard enough to do damage. The regular HX has a ton of drag and it's hard to crush the pinion bearing; same with the new G2 reels because of larger bearings. The non-Raptor reels -- SX, JX and LX -- have no side load when fished within their specifications. In my shop I find more Shimanos -- Charter Specials and TLDs especially -- with crushed pinion bearings because people just push them too hard.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Avet EX reels are more robust and have much larger bearings.

Quote from: swill88 on February 12, 2018, 08:14:08 PM
So... what's your opinions on Mark's reviews of the 50's?

He was through but not like we would be.  From a users viewpoint it was good.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Well, he's not an expert, only a fisherman. He said that several times.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

Quote from: akfish on February 12, 2018, 09:22:55 PM
Side load occurs in virtually all lever drag reels when drag is pushed too high and the pinion bearing is crushed. It is dramatically reduced in the Avet Raptor series because they apply drag from both sides of a single drag washer and it's rarely necessary to push the drag hard enough to do damage. The regular HX has a ton of drag and it's hard to crush the pinion bearing; same with the new G2 reels because of larger bearings. The non-Raptor reels -- SX, JX and LX -- have no side load when fished within their specifications. In my shop I find more Shimanos -- Charter Specials and TLDs especially -- with crushed pinion bearings because people just push them too hard.

Thanks for that, I'm glad to  hear that the issue is a non issue.  Keep within the spec and all is good.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

conchydong

It was interesting but while I like Mark, and have made many purchase from Charkbait, he has his biases. He will never accept that Shimano makes some decent reels even if they have some policies that many of us don't like. He is also upset that Penn began selling discounted reels from their own website and it shows. I also wonder why Accurate wasn't involved in the conversation as they were once the "go to" reel in Long Range.
Just my thoughts.

alantani

why not accurate?  likely because the retail price on a 50 ATD is $1200.

i've taken only a cursory look at the new penn X's.  they look nice, but i hate the handle grip and that is your primary interface with the reel.  it should indeed hold 700 yards of 130 pound braid with an easy 25 yard topshot of fluorocarbon, so it should work!   my old penn 50 vsx has served me well, not to mention that it is now maybe an ounce lighter after the alaska airlines incident. 

the makaira 50 i still consider to be the standard, though there are problems with the clickers. 

the avets?  i think their dry drags are a deal breaker.  plus they're noisy as hell.  um, but honestly no more noisy than a makaira with a busted clicker!!!!!   ;D

so for overall price and performance, i'd still recommend the makaira, but i would love to get a chance to fish with the new penn. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

"Dry drags" are easily cured....   ;)

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Good one Alan!!!! 

I hate opening up a reel with a glued on drag disk and full of salt and aluminum oxide.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Quote from: conchydong on February 12, 2018, 11:46:55 PM
It was interesting but while I like Mark, and have made many purchase from Charkbait, he has his biases. He will never accept that Shimano makes some decent reels even if they have some policies that many of us don't like. He is also upset that Penn began selling discounted reels from their own website and it shows. I also wonder why Accurate wasn't involved in the conversation as they were once the "go to" reel in Long Range.
Just my thoughts.

I won't go into why Mark at Charkbait had or has some issues with Shimano as he addressed this a few times over the years. Those concerns were posted on his website, allcoast which wen't away, bloody decks and a couple that are still around but barley.

What I will say is this and this has nothing to do with Charkbait and Mark Smith, is that Shimano made vendors of their stuff buy crap they had to sell. Remember then they came out with one reel, which was a ok reel but to use that reel correctly you needed to buy the whole system? The reels and the rods needed to be matched together or the "system" was not be complete. Remember that? I do. Well Shimano made it if a vendor wanted to buy those reels they must take the rods as a bundle deal. The reels were ok like I said but the rods were... well crap. Many issues with those rods and most came back to the shop were they were purchased. Those shops really could not hand out another rod as a replacement due to the one reel one rod purchase agreement. So the customer had to go through Shimano direct and they didn't really have a answer to the issue either. That left many customers upset with the store where they bought the gear and not where the problem really lay with, the supplier/Shimano.

Charkbait which was the first online vendor I found, had and still has value added incentives when purchasing certain items. Think what you will of those items but in the past there was free JB spectra, lures or packs, free rods and other things. Well a couple of vendors/shops complained about this so Shimano said that had to end that with their products because the other guys were upset. Ok, fine. Not just Charkbait but other vendors that added incentives saw a reduction in the Shimano sales as well making it harder to seel their gear.

Who does Shimano think they are? To come into your shop and tell you how to sell their stuff. Your at MRSP but a couple of complaints from shops selling 100's of less reels sell a month out weigh how you do business? Ok Shimano.

Personally I feel Shimano has it's place, but for me when looking at higher end gear, I feel Shimano is a bit lacking. I'm very lucky living in So Cal that I as fishermen has a wide choice of gear to look at, feel and get reports beck before I make a purchase. I know others aren't able to do so, so go with what is the best option for you. In many parts of the world that is Shimano.

Edit: As I was posting this I get a e-mail. It may be spam but it does say something about Shimano stepping up to the plate.

SHIMANO SUPPORTS CCA WITH $50K CONSERVATION GRANTS

Keta

I agree 100%. 

I like Shimano reels and their customer service has always treated me well.  I do not like some of their marketing practices.  In order for me to get a price break on parts from Shimano I had to have a store front and regular hours, got the shop/store front but no way am I going to have regular hours.  I also wanted to give my customers the option of using Power Pro line and I did not want to sell reels or rods.  They turned me down.

Mark Twain

MarkT

I wish Daiwa had the kind of service & support that Shinano does. I'm not fond of how Shinano handles marketing and pricing but their support is great. Especially with them being 15 minutes away.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on February 14, 2018, 04:36:18 AM
I wish Daiwa had the kind of service & support that Shinano does. I'm not fond of how Shinano handles marketing and pricing but their support is great. Especially with them being 15 minutes away.

I don't know if you have used Daiwa's service and support recently but things were changing for the better. I have not used it in about 2 years but at that time I needed 3 small items for 3 different reels. These orders were placed by phone on 3 different occasions and each time the parts were sent to me free of charge and in a timely manner.

It may help that I live only about 15 miles from Daiwa USA but I have heard others across the states in forums like this are finding the same results.

Again this was around 2 years ago, maybe even longer, but I was pleased with the service I got.