Schematic for DAM Quick 275 Super 2-Speed

Started by festus, February 12, 2018, 10:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I remember a few days ago Fred or some of you other guys had never located a schematic for the Super 2 speeds.  Just happened to luck out and find it with some South Bend schematics.  http://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/South%20Bend/SOUTH%20BEND-DAM%20QUICK%20SUPER%20MODEL%20275.pdf

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Very cool Chester, I just made me a couple of copies...thank you!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Thanks Festus.

It's interesting that all the of the parts are numbered 270/#.

Are these interchangeable with 270 parts?

Steve

festus

So South Bend was once in cahoots with D.A.M. Quick?  Makes sense. 

There used to be an old country store about 5 miles from here owned by some of my distant kin that sold groceries, fresh meat, appliances, furniture, pocket knives, fishing tackle, guns, etc. and also doubled as the post office.  You know, the type of place with the bench out front with the old men sitting whittling and smoking roll your owns, maybe secretly nipping on some corn liquor out of a Mason jar from a local bootlegger. That's where I saw my first DAM Quick reel.  They also had a good stock of South Bend spinning reels along with Mitchells and Abus.  One of the cousins who worked in the store was an avid fisherman and convinced my dad to buy a couple of the South Bends.  Probably 7 or 8 bucks apiece,  but caught their share of fish.

Several months later my dad found a D.A.M. Quick 220 at a wholesale house in Knoxville for my sixteenth birthday. Not sure how much that reel cost, probably triple the price of the South Bends.

Next year that reel will be 50 years old.

foakes

Thanks, Chester!

First one of those schematics I have ever seen.

That will help verify parts positions when putting Sheridan's back together.

Just printed one out to go in the DAM Quick Master Service Manual.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: swill88 on February 12, 2018, 11:56:34 PM
Thanks Festus.

It's interesting that all the of the parts are numbered 270/#.

Are these interchangeable with 270 parts?

Steve
Most of them are Steve, with the exception of the housing, housing cover and gears, the rest of the parts will work on both reels.with that said, I don't see any issues if you wanted to use the 270 housing on the 275, all you'll need to do is add 2 holes at the same location for the dog and lever.
Interesting, I have the 270 part list and the numbers don't match with the 275.
Quote from: foakes on February 13, 2018, 12:05:35 AM
Thanks, Chester!

First one of those schematics I have ever seen.

That will help verify parts positions when putting Sheridan’s back together.

Just printed one out to go in the DAM Quick Master Service Manual.

Best,

Fred
Fred, I'm not sure this will help you on the washers, I have the layout on the bench

Now that I have the parts list I can call those by mane.
Place the driving wheel on the on the coupling box , part # 113 and 112. Follow with a Resitex washer- part #115, spring washer part#116, repeat that 2 more times .
The schematic is showing additional parts that my reels don't have, all I have is the 2 gears ( driving wheels) that sit on top of those washers. You will realize on which position they'll go in once you take a look on yours.

My reel is back together and working nicely. Of course I do not have the lever and the dog for the anti reverse, but it is shifting really nicely.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Thanks, Sal —

Also found the schematics for the DAM Quick 238 & 248 on the same site.

These were good DQ reels from the late 50's & early 60's.  Good quality, fairly obscure and hard to find in the US though.

I have around 15 of these, plus plenty of NOS parts — but never had schematics with part numbers.

The 238 is a lightweight metal reel in either grey or dark green crinkle (Herters had one from DAM in black crinkle). 

The 248 is larger and heavier, black crinkle —

Thanks to Chester, I now have those schematics.

Wish I had a A/R lever for you Sal, and a dog for that 275.  I will poke around...

If the dog is the same as the 270, I will have it — but do not think so.

Thanks Chester!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Glad the schematic got you folks headed in the right direction.  Finding it was just pure luck, I was looking for info on this South Bend spinning reel and ran across it by accident. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on February 13, 2018, 01:43:49 AM
Thanks, Sal —

Also found the schematics for the DAM Quick 238 & 248 on the same site.

These were good DQ reels from the late 50's & early 60's.  Good quality, fairly obscure and hard to find in the US though.

I have around 15 of these, plus plenty of NOS parts — but never had schematics with part numbers.

The 238 is a lightweight metal reel in either grey or dark green crinkle (Herters had one from DAM in black crinkle).  

The 248 is larger and heavier, black crinkle —

Thanks to Chester, I now have those schematics.

Wish I had a A/R lever for you Sal, and a dog for that 275.  I will poke around...

If the dog is the same as the 270, I will have it — but do not think so.

Thanks Chester!

Best,

Fred

Great that you found other schematics Fred, those will come in handy.
I thank you for checking on the dog, but there is no need to. I have one coming, along with the eccentric and nut.

As I mentioned earlier the schematic is showing additional parts on the clutch assembly, unless it's taken at a bad angle.
I wanted to make sure I was correct, so I checked on another reel.  Between the gears there are  6 washers, 3 and 3...nothing else

Thanks Fred,

Sal

mo65

Quote from: festus on February 13, 2018, 02:00:52 AM
Glad the schematic got you folks headed in the right direction.  Finding it was just pure luck, I was looking for info on this South Bend spinning reel and ran across it by accident. 

Hey buddy, what does that South Bend look like under the hood? Is that model USA or Japan manufacture?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Sorry Fred there are only 2 metal spring washers not 3. You might be looking for the third one because of me.
I looked at these reels a few times and I'm not sure why I said 3 and 3  ::)

Sal

festus

Quote from: mo65 on February 13, 2018, 02:59:53 AM
Quote from: festus on February 13, 2018, 02:00:52 AM

Hey buddy, what does that South Bend look like under the hood? Is that model USA or Japan manufacture?
That's a Japanese reel, Mike.  It reminds me a little of a Shakespeare maroon but looks nothing like it inside.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on February 13, 2018, 12:02:36 AM
So South Bend was once in cahoots with D.A.M. Quick?  Makes sense.  

There used to be an old country store about 5 miles from here owned by some of my distant kin that sold groceries, fresh meat, appliances, furniture, pocket knives, fishing tackle, guns, etc. and also doubled as the post office.  You know, the type of place with the bench out front with the old men sitting whittling and smoking roll your owns, maybe secretly nipping on some corn liquor out of a Mason jar from a local bootlegger. That's where I saw my first DAM Quick reel.  They also had a good stock of South Bend spinning reels along with Mitchells and Abus.  One of the cousins who worked in the store was an avid fisherman and convinced my dad to buy a couple of the South Bends.  Probably 7 or 8 bucks apiece,  but caught their share of fish.

Several months later my dad found a D.A.M. Quick 220 at a wholesale house in Knoxville for my sixteenth birthday. Not sure how much that reel cost, probably triple the price of the South Bends.

South Bend (Gladding Corp) was Dam Quick's US distributor from about 1966 on until Quick Corporation of America open their offices in Costa Mesa, CA in '69/'70.  V. Harasty Corp, Herter's & Cabela's also sold Dam Quick reels during that time. Some Dam reels have a small round red sticker with an S in the center. Many people think that stands for High Speed but it actually represented South Bend as an export. Dam's high speed models at the time were 221, 331 & 441, including Ns, and there are reels other than those 3 models that are still found with the little red S sticker on the side.  The high speed models had a silver & red sticker that said "High Speed".
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

swill88

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 13, 2018, 04:09:13 AM
Quote from: festus on February 13, 2018, 12:02:36 AM
So South Bend was once in cahoots with D.A.M. Quick?  Makes sense.  

There used to be an old country store about 5 miles from here owned by some of my distant kin that sold groceries, fresh meat, appliances, furniture, pocket knives, fishing tackle, guns, etc. and also doubled as the post office.  You know, the type of place with the bench out front with the old men sitting whittling and smoking roll your owns, maybe secretly nipping on some corn liquor out of a Mason jar from a local bootlegger. That's where I saw my first DAM Quick reel.  They also had a good stock of South Bend spinning reels along with Mitchells and Abus.  One of the cousins who worked in the store was an avid fisherman and convinced my dad to buy a couple of the South Bends.  Probably 7 or 8 bucks apiece,  but caught their share of fish.

South Bend (Gladding Corp) was Dam Quick's US distributor from about 1966 on until Quick Corporation of America open their offices in Costa Mesa, CA in '69/'70.  V. Harasty Corp, Herter's & Cabela's also sold Dam Quick reels during that time. Some Dam reels have a small round red sticker with an S in the center. Many people think that stands for High Speed but it actually represented South Bend as an export. Dam's high speed models at the time were 221, 331 & 441, including Ns, and there are reels other than those 3 models that are still found with the little red S sticker on the side.  The high speed models had a silver & red sticker that said "High Speed".

I recall my Mitchell 400 in the mid-'60s had a red HS sticker.
Or, maybe, I dreamed it. All the same now to me