Armchair Halibut fishing Again

Started by gstours, February 11, 2018, 05:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I took my brother fishing, even though he has 2 boats he doesent really fish much.  Butt we had fun.   Here is a clip of some of the action,  the fish was released.  We were fishing in about 150 ft of slack tidewater,  using herring and a pink salmon head for bait.
    See what you think.   Makes me want to go right back there again.   

Reel 224

WOW! I would have kept that fish, cudos for releasing him.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rivverrat

could you tell a bit about the rod & how it was rigged line test etc. for those of us that havent experienced this kind of fishing... Jeff

Keta

My butt rods are 6'6" 50# with a fast and sensitive tip, reels are usually 349H's but I have Avet HX's that I occasionally use and have used 113H reels in the past.  I use braid on my butt rigs, 50# Dacron before Spectra and then 100% 60#/65# Spectra.  I have a 5'-10' of 50# mono leader so if my gear hangs up I don't leave Spectra behind.  My terminal tackle is a 16/0 circle hook with a 8"-12" shell squid on 100#-150# mono.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Yeah but he doesn't need them he is all butt.  :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Have to catch one heck of a lot of halibut to be able to just release a fish like that.  I know it's a giant breeder and all. I'm just saying I'd sure want to keep it.

gstours

Yes its a very good fishery for me right now.  Getting lucky and all. :D    Its fun to fish for fun. ;D  Butt sometimes when you really want a good fish for a friend It cannot be bought.   Thats fishing.   I,ll send some rigging pictures,  when time permits.  Snow in forecast. ???

gstours

Every one rigs a little differently it seems.  As for me a trailer hook makes good sense. So that is std equipment.  I use a braid leader for that w a snell on the j hook. 8-12/0 sizes usually.  Then a wrapped 18/0 kirbed and regrouund circle ⭕️ hook.  .080 weed eater line is plentiful here.  Aluminum crimp. 
   Usually a x l spin n. Glow or an x large spinner blade is used to provide vibration or sounds.  These work good when the current is running.  A scent tube can be a hootchy spacer,  glow stuff and white is a good choice it seems.   
   I,m going to post pictures of details more in the lure section soon.  So look 👀 there,  thanks 🙏.

Keta

Reshaping the point on the large Mustad "C" hooks is important.  I have used large spin and glows in the past, they work.

Quote from: David Hall on February 12, 2018, 01:11:12 AM
Have to catch one heck of a lot of halibut to be able to just release a fish like that.  I know it's a giant breeder and all. I'm just saying I'd sure want to keep it.

The only "rules" on my boat were do not get intoxicated, a beer or two was OK, and all halibut over 50" were released.  We could fish 12 months of the year and a 2 fish per day limit.... we were never out of halibut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Quote from: gstours on February 13, 2018, 05:44:10 PM
Every one rigs a little differently it seems.  

Yes, this is is exactly why I was asking. I've been fishing long enough that I have the tools & hardware that would work for most any fish. However I'm always hopeful of learning something new... Jeff