Rebuild Parts Shades of Gold Anodizing

Started by 458steve, March 17, 2018, 11:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

458steve

Rebuilding a International 130 - New side plate (part # 27-130) came in and has a deep gold anodizing vs a lighter vintage "straw" anodizing. My vintage int. stable from 30, 50, 80 and now 130 are the lighter straw. I am sure the new side plate is structurally fine but was there a process change during the years or was it dependent or who was doing the "anodizing" at the factory that day ? Right now the part will stand out like that unpainted primered fender on the vintage muscle car. Will time and age blend it in or just some good scotch and get over it ??

STRIPER LOU

Hey Steve, sounds like the Scotch may be the answer!

Although not totally positive but at some point I believe they switched to a bolder gold.

That being said, differences in anodizing from batch to batch are entirely possible. I doubt it will fade and blend in and I can see your point, especially a reel of this caliber, it could be a bit bothersome.

Your other alternative is to find a NOS plate that matches. More big bucks and maybe not worth it.

Still a great reel no matter what the color and I doubt the fish will notice the difference.

Good luck and show us what you bag with that baby!

..............Lou

mizmo67

Hi,

Your message to us didn't include some of the info you posted here, so I'll add that yes, at some point Penn darkened their gold mix.

Even light to light and dark to dark golds have variation though, as I said there in the support ticket.

It can be frustrating if you are trying for an exact match, as you'd have to find one made in the same lot of parts to have the gold be the same tint, really.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

458steve

I contacted Scott's Bait and Tackle here in NJ. They checked the warehouse and their other side plate in stock was the deeper gold / orange hue. Gentleman informed me that in his experience Penn did change to a deeper gold color anodizing a number of years ago.   I guess those fish just have to learn not to care !!!

458steve

Rebuild complete thanks to Scott's Bait and Tackle - NJ - Functional 100%
This is a 130H - I have a set of the standard 130 gears and pinion with bridge bar for total swap for low ratio cranking if needed.
Lessons Learned on Rebuild:
Cal's Reel grease (Tan) on drag plates - Once and done
Bridge bearing failure put this great reel on EBay with gear grind noise -  looks like reel was just serviced but a missed opportunity by original owner.

Total Reel Save - Gears and drive train massive for this old warrior. Looking at F. Mundus pics - this is the gadget for 3400+ lbs sharks. Bad to the Bone ...

Bill B

Good save brother....a proud addition to any collection or trolling spread....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

1badf350

My 130H is definitely a lighter shade of gold than my 130 and all my other gen1 Internationals
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

54bullseye

I have an early 20 and 80 both with the round clicker knobs and both are a very pale gold color compared to the newer reels !!!   John Taylor

thorhammer

1badf350

Maybe we just need to get them out in the sun for a while. LOL
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"