A Rat by Any Other Name?

Started by foakes, February 15, 2018, 08:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Another fine restoration, Fred.  I knew you'd do it eventually.

I wanted one of those during my early teenage years, then forgot about them.  This site got me interested again, so I now have two.

Decker

Dirt, corrosion, abuse, neglect, years of entropy, are no match for Fred and his shop!

nelz

Quote from: Decker on March 09, 2018, 08:43:53 PM
Dirt, corrosion, abuse, neglect, years of entropy, are no match for Fred and his shop!

Wow, there's a word you don't hear relating to reels... ever;D

Yes, Fred is the reel messiah!

bhale1

Lol...I'm actually going to have to Google that word😀
Brett

Okay I looked it up and still don't know if I would know how to use it properly in a sentence 😀

happyhooker

Another one resurrected from the graveyard.

Frank

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

foakes

These are very good reels.

Interesting problem, though...

Nearly every reel in the world has something that could/should have been made differently or better.

In the case of these little Shakespeares — it is the trip ramp, or sometimes called the brake ring.

This is the part attached to the frame, under the rotor that trips the trip lever as the rotor turns to return the bail to the retrieve position.

On most quality reels, this is a separate part that sometimes doubles as a main bearing retainer, or it is a copper or brass ring that ramps up to interact with the lower part of the spring loaded trip lever.

On these little Shakes — it is a small rectangular protrusion that is part of the frame — therefore made out of aluminum cast.

The trip lever has a much stronger spring than I believe is necessary — and when these parts lose lubrication, the trip lever acts as a chisel — actually gouging off the top of the softer trip nub.

These get a lot of wear and use on spinners — and most are replaceable.  The Shakes is not.  The frame needs to be replaced.  When I robbed the sideplate off of a donor reel in one of the bins for this restore — this issue was noticed and narrowed down since the bail would not trip closed.

So now I have a donor reel I will also restore, since it deserves to be put back in service.  But am looking for a fix on the gouged trip nub.  I am thinking that maybe a tiny screw might be drilled and tapped on the nub — then ground smooth for proper bail closing?  Also replacement of the trip lever spring with a lighter one might also help?  

I will give it a little more thought — then attempt a solution.

Looks like the case of a company taking a little shortcut, and saving a few nickels.  But down the road, issues arise.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Thanks for the heads up on the trip ramp, Fred.  Is it better to lubricate these parts with grease or oil?

Yes, these little reels have some very strong trip springs. They have their own unique sound, unlike the unmistakable clang of DAM Quick bail shutting.   

One more question about these reels.  Would it be ok to use 10 or 15 lb braid on them?  I know that's a bit of overkill, but crappie fishing you never know what you'll need to drag out of the Tennessee River, a big bass, drum, catfish, or even a striper.

foakes

Since the spools are plastic, old, and possibly brittle — I would think braid might damage them.

I did use a slight coating of synthetic grease on the trip nub, under the rotor.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

mo65

Quote from: festus on March 10, 2018, 06:29:38 AM
One more question about these reels.  Would it be ok to use 10 or 15 lb braid on them?  I know that's a bit of overkill, but crappie fishing you never know what you'll need to drag out of the Tennessee River, a big bass, drum, catfish, or even a striper.

I've been using 15lb. braid on these reels Festus...no problems so far...other than I can't hardly stand to put the reel down. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tiddlerbasher

I woul have thought that braid would be less harmful, particularly on old (maybe brittle) plastic, than mono :-\  Mono can pop old spools particularly plastic ones.

happyhooker

Quote from: foakes on March 10, 2018, 05:58:32 AM
These are very good reels.

...am looking for a fix on the gouged trip nub....

Don't know if JB Weld or Permatex Steel Weld would work.  Both are supposed to bond to aluminum.  Thinking you might be able to build up the nub.

Frank