How tight to turn the handle nut on Baitcasters?

Started by Sea_Raven, February 19, 2018, 06:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea_Raven

Hi there,

I've come across this issue in my baitcasters: I reassemble the reel & turn the handle nut tight on the drive shaft. Fix the handle nut plate and everything looks fine. All tight and firm. However, if I turn back the handle back and forth against a blocked spool and tightened drag, the handle has play!  ???8
When I first encountered this  (in a Chromarch E201) I suspected the AR-bearing, cleaned it, reassembled the reel, but the play didn't go away.
Then I came across the same issue in my Revo Toro NaCl. There I noticed, however that the handle and nut is moving. But when I pull the line, the spool doesn't have play. So the play does only come from the handle.
I was able to fix the issue by tightening the nut one step further (from the position of the handle nut plate). It feels like overtightening it, but it makes the play gone for good.
Yesterday I had the same Issue again in my Calcutta Conquest 301, same Problem, same fix.

This leaves me wondering: Why the heck is the handle not precisely keyed to the drive shaft?
Comparing how firm all the other parts of the Conquest fit, it seems weird that the only thing that keeps the handle from moving is the pressure of the handle nut.

Am I doing something wrong to start with or is it true that the handle fits a bit loosely on the drive shaft and only a tight screw will keep it from moving?

Rivverrat

Others will chime in. I dont think your doing anything wrong. It is a good thing to be mindful of over torquing fasteners. I generally go finger tight & an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn past this. But this is not always enough or it does not line up well with the keyed lock that goes over handle nut... Jeff

oc1

Try rocking the handle back and forth a bit as you tighten the nut.
-steve

mike1010

When installing the handle check that the drag star is not backed off so far that the handle is bottoming-out against it.

Keta

Quote from: mike1010 on February 19, 2018, 04:42:19 PM
When installing the handle check that the drag star is not backed off so far that the handle is bottoming-out against it.

I've done that a time or two.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

As tight as it needs to be to prevent handle arm movement.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Sea_Raven

Tightening the drag before securing the handle is definitely something I try to do each time.
What puzzles me a bit is that the handle slot is NOT precisely keyed to the drive gear post.
Why they planned some small wiggle room into that connection is beyond me.

sdlehr

I was going to ask if there was maybe some slop in the fit of the handle. This could be worn from use.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Keta

Quote from: Sea_Raven on February 21, 2018, 06:48:41 AM
Tightening the drag before securing the handle is definitely something I try to do each time.
What puzzles me a bit is that the handle slot is NOT precisely keyed to the drive gear post.
Why they planned some small wiggle room into that connection is beyond me.

You do not want a press fit but no slop either.  I would say you have a wear problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Yup this can happen rather quick using high drag with a handle nut not properly tightened  ... Jeff 

Gfish

I's thinkin what Mike1010 said. Are there washers on the gear sleeve? Do they go behind the star or in front or both?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Sea_Raven

Sorry for my late response, family and work took their toll.
I don't have a wear problem, the reel is in top shape. I think Bryan really hits it - it just needs to be pretty tight.
I think part of it is that the star must be pushed really hard against the spring, else there is a chance that the clicker plate becomes wedged between the handle and the drive shaft and that would account for play.

After disassembly and reassembly I have to say that the reel is top notch engineering. If there is one thing then it's the handle part - also that the nut tightens against the finish of the handle rather than a washer. This leaves marks in the finish and this might lead to corrosion.

However, since I'm in freshwater this won't matter mutch anyway..