Daiwa Fuego

Started by Roadworkahead, February 22, 2018, 06:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadworkahead

Purchased 2 of the Daiwa Fuego LT 6.2:1 Spinning Reel FGLT2500D-XH. These will be used for small river steelhead jig and bobber rods. I'm considering upgrading the bearings (handle and spool bushings). Also installing carbontex drag washers. The bearings are $16. a set for stainless steel. $36 a set for the ceramic. For those that are in the know, Is one better then the other for my application? Or would it be best to stick with the stock stuff? Thanks.

akfish

You really don't ned ceramic bearings for your spinners; ceramic bearings are best for spool bearings on conventional reels because they **might** increase free spool. The carbontex drag washers are a must.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

philaroman

IMO, nothing in your spinning reels will ever reach higher RPMs, than a good stainless ABEC-5 could handle with ease

Roadworkahead

Is the stainless ABEC-5 typically what these reels come with stock?

handi2

The stock bearings are ABEC 1 to 3.

Send me a PM if you need bearings. Don't pay inflated prices.

I use ABEC 3 to 5.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Roadworkahead

handi2. Thanks for your offer and I just may PM ya for some 5 bearings. And thanks to the others that responded. Received the reels today. May need to spin them for a couple days. Not sure what it is but they just don't feel right. Maybe its the graphite, the weight, Daiwa not a Shimano. Could be the price point. I did read very good reviews on the reels but I don't own any other Daiwa's. I do own 8 other Shimano spinners in different models and sizes. All species specific. And yes, my name is Brad and I am a fishing reel whore.  ;D     

philaroman

Daiwa's were never as "buttery smooth" as Shimano's -- not supposed to be
no new LT's far below MSRP or lightly used ones getting unloaded on eBay
that's really, really GOOD NEWS (unless it's just too soon)
before you use/open them go check out the same reels in a store, to make sure you didn't get factory rejects
if they feel the same, then you're just not used to the feel of a Daiwa
and/or budget Fuego's have crappy bearings -- let handi2 hook you up

POSSIBLE BAD NEWS:

both, Daiwa & Shimano are guilty of the sleazy Marketing practice of recycling venerable discontinued model names & slapping them onto grossly inferior products

original TD Fuego's were metal Japanese low high-end (maybe that's the source of the "good reviews")
then they got outsourced; now they came up w/ the budget plastic LT version
...and it's not even the better, expensive Zaion plastic -- not an issue w/ 4-8# mono,
but w/ 20# braid & angry Steelhead, I'd worry about the frame & rotor arms flexing under load

if the "good reviews" are from retailers (below the product description), they are MEANINGLESS!!!
even if genuine, mostly written by idiots who presume to review a reel as soon as they open the box
or, at best, fish it a few times
in that context, only the rare detailed BAD reviews are truly informative

Roadworkahead

Thank you philaroman, and I agree. I didn't hold or spin the reel before hand as I wouldn't have purchased them. They feel very cheaply made and I know they wont hold up to a pissed off steelhead, my bad. The lowest end Shimano I have is the Stradic FJ 3000. Really like those. They balance the longer rods and don't feel like plastic. I would have bought 2 more if I could find them in new condition. The ones on fleebay are overpriced junk.  I did reach out to handi2, thanks. Need to find a different source for reel reviews and get to the sport store like you suggested.

nelz

Return the Fuegos and replace with the BG instead, much better reel. For starters, it already has a sealed CF drag, and aluminum housing. NO MAGSEAL either. ;D After all those upgrades you'll be at, or just past, the BG price point.

philaroman

Quote from: Roadworkahead on February 23, 2018, 03:15:51 PM
...Need to find a different source for reel reviews...

by far, most thorough & critical of B/S claims: http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/reviews.html

detailed, but too "rosy":http://www.tackletour.com/ ...they never rate anything below 6 on a scale of 1-10
so, effectively, an 8 is really a 3 on a scale of 1-5  --  i.e., middlin' rather than good, IMO

Roadworkahead

Thanks philaroman and nelz. I shipped the Fuegos back. I went to a local sports store and gave the BG a spin. Compared it to the Penn Battle II. The BG was a better fit for me because of the weight, size and smoothness. It just felt better when spinning. Because I'm  a die hard Shimano fan, I looked at several of there offerings including the Stradic FK and the Nasci again. I just don't like the new Stradic and the Nasci is in the same league as the Fuego. I was so impressed with the BG that I bought 4, (can't beat the price on the big auction site). 2 2500's and 2 3000's. I will start looking harder at the Daiwa offerings in the future. I think Shimano is starting to back slide as the big dog. Daiwa has differently stepped up there game. 

nelz

Way to go Mr. Roadworkahead, now you're set!

Btw, the Battles are ok, and have metal rotors (I think) but they are line twisters. Daiwa ABS type spinners, even the cheap ones, have amazing line handling performance.

Let us know how you like the BG's.

philaroman

Daiwa ALWAYS had some good stuff, but when I was young they had crappy product support, so I went w/ Shimano & regret not having more Daiwa's than my lonesome TD-X...  Didn't like Shimano's direction as of this Century, so I got some high-end Okuma at phenomenal deals -- not perfect, but awesome value.

now, ALL manufacturers practice sleazy Western marketing techniques (Penn is more honest than most, but I like "light" which was never Penn's forte)...  it's more profitable to fool consumers w/ advertising then to offer a good product...  some product lines (like BG) are the exception, because they are so established & sell so many units, Worldwide, that they have to accept a smaller profit margin per unit, not to risk a drop in total sales...  Shimano still tried it w/ Curado & promptly back-pedalled (yes, I meant the bike reference)

in short, diehard brand loyalty is not for prudent reel consumers, anymore -- you have to cherry-pick.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: philaroman on February 25, 2018, 09:56:23 PM
Daiwa ALWAYS had some good stuff, but when I was young they had crappy product support, so I went w/ Shimano & regret not having more Daiwa's than my lonesome TD-X...  Didn't like Shimano's direction as of this Century, so I got some high-end Okuma at phenomenal deals -- not perfect, but awesome value.

now, ALL manufacturers practice sleazy Western marketing techniques (Penn is more honest than most, but I like "light" which was never Penn's forte)...  it's more profitable to fool consumers w/ advertising then to offer a good product...  some product lines (like BG) are the exception, because they are so established & sell so many units, Worldwide, that they have to accept a smaller profit margin per unit, not to risk a drop in total sales...  Shimano still tried it w/ Curado & promptly back-pedalled (yes, I meant the bike reference)

in short, diehard brand loyalty is not for prudent reel consumers, anymore -- you have to cherry-pick.

and to think i was going to become a diawa and shimano fan. China brands here i come.

philaroman

hey, I'm still a Shimano fan...  I just like JDM's that I can't afford new & 90's Japan-made US models that I have piles of, to equip myself for the rest of my life & can service half-drunk, w/ no schematics & poor lighting...  I'm both, cheap AND fond of quality -- I ain't payin' Shimano prices for "new, outsourced & occasionally downgraded"!!!