Mitchell Garcia 408

Started by Swami805, February 23, 2018, 02:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Mike, you have a way of inspiring others to spend more money, every post like this makes me want something I don't have and to try something I've never tried! I've yet to open up a spinner, but this post has got me thinking about it... Great job bringing her back to life, and that knob and red colored braid helps knock her out of the park!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

festus

Here's mine that Sheridan sent.  Yes, this one has the 5.5 to 1 ratio.

Swami805

Looking good Chester, good for you I never opened it up, haha. Go catch a few with it!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 24, 2019, 01:44:57 PM
Mike, you have a way of inspiring others to spend more money, every post like this makes me want something I don't have and to try something I've never tried! I've yet to open up a spinner, but this post has got me thinking about it... Great job bringing her back to life, and that knob and red colored braid helps knock her out of the park!

Thanks Darin! If you'll notice, the majority of my projects are the "affordable approach" making them accessible to most anyone. I love the big buck custom parts as much as the next guy, but I only get to build that type investment occasionally. Most of my projects start as a great buy on a reel or a sweet custom part received as a gift. Working on spinners is no different than conventionals. Both have tiny parts and springs that love taking flight. Go ahead and dive into a spinner, and feel free to ask for assistance if needed, there are some of the best hanging around here! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

Thank you again, Mike, I appreciate the encouragement to dive in! Most of my spinners are newer, but have been looking for some older ones to work on, so when I find a good candidate I'll go for it! Will reach out if needed for sure  ;D ;D ;D

festus

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 24, 2019, 04:05:10 PM
Thank you again, Mike, I appreciate the encouragement to dive in! Most of my spinners are newer, but have been looking for some older ones to work on, so when I find a good candidate I'll go for it! Will reach out if needed for sure  ;D ;D ;D
Many good candidates out there, Darin.  

I learned spinning reel rebuilding on the Mitchell 300.  It's of course a medium size reel, and parts aren't tucked away in remote corners and it's fairly easy to service.  However, there are some shims that you have to be aware of, and often after rebuilding the reel is noisy.  The Mitchell 308 and 408 are completely different animals than the 300, but easier to service.  I also rebuilt a friend's 306 that was similar to the 308 to a larger scale.

The Shakespeare 2052 and 2062 are also good places to start.  Not too complicated, biggest pain to me is removing the ball bearing to service.  There is a sometimes troublesome snap ring that's unwilling to come out, but it isn't that difficult.  Otherwise, these, and their bigger brothers, the 2071, 2081, and 2091 are a piece of cake.

The D-A-M Quick Finessa series, the 280, 285, 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, and 550 are good candidates.  Plenty of good help on here, especially by Fred.  Their biggest pain is the rolled pin that retains the handle.  They also have one of those awkward snap rings on the ball bearing.  Good solid reels, some of my favorites.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on March 24, 2019, 03:11:48 PM
   Thanks Darin! If you'll notice, the majority of my projects are the "affordable approach" making them accessible to most anyone. I love the big buck custom parts as much as the next guy, but I only get to build that type investment occasionally. Most of my projects start as a great buy on a reel or a sweet custom part received as a gift. Working on spinners is no different than conventionals. Both have tiny parts and springs that love taking flight. Go ahead and dive into a spinner, and feel free to ask for assistance if needed, there are some of the best hanging around here! 8)

Amen!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 24, 2019, 04:05:10 PM
Most of my spinners are newer, but have been looking for some older ones to work on, so when I find a good candidate I'll go for it!

Indeed...do not make one of those newer models your maiden voyage! Start simple...like the ones Chester suggested. Having the schematic is a huge help. These guys around here are getting very good at googling up schematics. They have found ones that I looked everywhere for and came up empty handed.

Darin Crofton

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you guys know when I find something... ;D

mo65

Quote from: mo65 on March 23, 2019, 11:27:24 PM
   I was looking at pics of the main gear in Chester's 408 and it has spiral cut gears. My 408 has straight cut gears like a 308. I thought maybe some wise guy slapped 308 gears in my 408 as a cheap "fix and flip", but my 408 is 5:1 while my 308 is 4.5:1! My question is, did Mitchell make some early 408s with 5:1 straight cut gears before settling on spiral cut 5.5:1?

Nobody ever did answer this question...have I finally stumped the gurus?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on July 31, 2019, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: mo65 on March 23, 2019, 11:27:24 PM
   I was looking at pics of the main gear in Chester's 408 and it has spiral cut gears. My 408 has straight cut gears like a 308. I thought maybe some wise guy slapped 308 gears in my 408 as a cheap "fix and flip", but my 408 is 5:1 while my 308 is 4.5:1! My question is, did Mitchell make some early 408s with 5:1 straight cut gears before settling on spiral cut 5.5:1?

Nobody ever did answer this question...have I finally stumped the gurus?

The 408 was introduced in 1963. The 1964 Garcia ads (B & W innards pics) show spiral cut gears.

Mike, I think you have a Frankenreel!  :o

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 31, 2019, 07:40:14 PM
The 408 was introduced in 1963. The 1964 Garcia ads (B & W innards pics) show spiral cut gears.

Take a closer look at that '64 ad Tommy. The shot of the pinion shows a straight cut...not spiral! I believe that is the same ad I posted previously when I discovered I had an anomaly. Also note the gear ratio on my 408 is 5:1...different than the 308's 4.5:1...so that rules out the frankenreel theory. The mystery continues...

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on July 31, 2019, 10:47:31 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 31, 2019, 07:40:14 PM

Take a closer look at that '64 ad Tommy. The shot of the pinion shows a straight cut...not spiral! I believe that is the same ad I posted previously when I discovered I had an anomaly. Also note the gear ratio on my 408 is 5:1...different than the 308's 4.5:1...so that rules out the frankenreel theory. The mystery continues...

I agree, but when enlarged, the main gear teeth appear set at an angle. Who knows what they used for advertising photos back in those days? ??? Back then most fishermen wouldn't have known the difference or even looked that close at the ads.  :D 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

I'll have to say...it sure feels good to nip this one in the bud. I finally found the proof of a 5:1 geared 408. Was just surfing Mitchell parts on fleabay and there it was...an aluminum 408 main! I checked the part number against several schematics and quickly found the correct match. The seller is a trusted parts dealer I've used many times, so I'm confident what he has listed is correct.
   I still can't believe this issue took so long to solve. I could care less if my 408 is 5:1 or 5.5:1. All that's important to me is it is correct8)

Midway Tommy

I admire your tenacity, Mike. Seems like there are a lot of anomalies in the earlier reel manufacturing processes and you just cracked this one. Well done!

Tommy D (ORCA), NE