Mitchell Garcia 408

Started by Swami805, February 23, 2018, 02:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sciaenops

Got inspired by you all to clean up an inherited Mitchell 408.  Didn't have a clue if reel was intact since I never have used it and rotor was loosey-goosey.

Took only a few minutes to soak, brush and spray off the old gunk, and re-assemble.  Didn't take apart the bail arm/mechanism just lubed it. I removed the bearing nut and oops almost lost a few, but quickly jiggled them back down, couple of drops of C-x and back together. Whew!  

Looks & works much better now, and is ready to test.  Not sure how strong that single drag washer is, but probably can handle a 1# trout.  Amazingly simple deal!

mo65

Great work! The 408 is a fantastic trout reel...you'll love it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

bbudesa

So where can one find replacement parts, specifically the bail spring and keeper screw?

thanks

happyhooker

Greetings, Bob, from Minnesota, and welcome to the site!

Parts are available from several sources; other AT'ers will hopefully post here and give you some specifics.

Frank

foakes

Welcome, Bob --

If you need parts for the Mitchell reels, including the little rare 408/308 -- I likely have those for you.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

can anyone post me a pic of AR side of the 408A main gear? No way the one I'm working is correct.

thanks !

John