"Stacking" Braid

Started by directdrive8, July 16, 2011, 04:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

directdrive8

Hello, Everyone:

I am a newbie to this forum.  As a result, I am likely asking a question answered elsewhere.  However, I was unable to locate any info. regarding the process of "stacking" braided line and wanted to know the pros and cons entailed.  I am an old cuss who's fished the salt inshore and offshore for more than 50 years.  I've always fished either dacron or mono but recently (about 2 years ago) switched many of my reels to braid.  Whilst perusing a catalogue, I ran across a side bar about stacking braid and found it intriguing.  Any comments and directions will be welcomed. 

Tight Lines!

Norcal Pescador

Welcome to the forum, directdrive!
I'm not positive about the term stacking, and I know someone will correct me, but the term sounds like it refers to using different weights (diameters) of braid spliced together for better performance in a given situation. (Whew, that was a mouthful!) As in starting with 80 pound hollow, splicing in 50 pound solid, then splicing on a short piece of 30 pound hollow, similar to a tapered fly-fishing leader.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

directdrive8

Hi, Norcal:

You hit the nail on the head.  I just don't know any specifics nor the pros/cons of "stacking".  Supposedly, stacking, as you so well described, allows the angler to put more line on the reel and do it in a manner that gives him an edge by placing certain weights in specific places on the spool.  Since I don't really understand the process, I have a hard time explaining exactly what it is that I don't know..... ???

Tight Lines

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: directdrive8 on July 16, 2011, 11:36:01 PM
...... Since I don't really understand the process, I have a hard time explaining exactly what it is that I don't know..... ???

Tight Lines

Well then, here we are. Two peas in a pod. I fully passed on my knowledge of stacking Spectra. Once you can explain what it is you don't know, then let me know. ;D ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Direct drive:  go to this link.  It is a confusing issue with many opinions.  Also search the site it has been discussed ad nauseam.  Dominick
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1789.0
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

This has been discussed among friends, but really has not been documented as to why we stack line.  It is commonly done for several reasons...line capacity is probably the most important reason.  For example, my reel holds 350 yards of 15# test, but is spectra capable.  So, I wan to spool 20# test spectra that has a diameter of, let's say 8#.  I will probably put on, I don't know, 600 yards of 20# spectra  To me, that would be a waste, so I spool on 100 yards of 50 to fill the reel's backing, then splice with a 60# hollow to a 20# spectra to achieve 300 yards.  Then I have space on my reel for a top shot.

For those of you calculating, the numbers will not work.  It's only an example.

This is where I have seen stacking of any line is done.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JGB

Stacking can take on many forms. Top shotting is a form of stacking. In it's simplest form, stacking means the combining of different lines or weights of line to achieve a end result.

Example to achieve maximum spool capacity and fish control:

Fill spool half way with the lowest test line ( when you have a fish on way out there you will not be putting a lot of pressure on the line since you have a lot of reserve left on the spool). Let's make this 50#
Then a heavier line is spliced and stacked on the spool till almost full (you allow more line strength when the fish is closer in so you can control it better). Let's make this 65#
Final main line is the heaviest line that is spliced on( maybe only 20-50 yards so it does not impact the fly lining of baits). This heavy top layer is used to 'HAUL' the fish to the boat and gaff ( you do not have to worry about breaking the line when horsing the fish).Lets make this 80#.
The final layer is your top shot of mono or flouro. It could be 100# flouro.

I personally do not stack my line as I use solid core and splicing is not very easy. Plus I like the finesse of lighter line to allow better live bait presentations.

Jim N.

directdrive8

Thanks!!  I think I get stacking now.  The explanations and referrals to other sites was a BIG help.  I like the concept and will try it out now that I have a handle on the process.

Tight Lines

Normslanding

Many of the long range guys splice on heavier line on top of lighter. The lighter helps with capacity, the heavier to lean harder on a fish that is straight up and down. I have talked to a couple of friends that have made between 30 & 40 long trips. There input was would you rather loose a fish you just hooked, or one that you have had on for a hour and a half? So they fish heavy drags, 40+lbs. on 130 lb. test. Then they lighten up later in the fight. This is opposite to what many do. The idea came about due to the fact that most of the lost fish occur at the boat. This is when heavier pressure is applied. And that is what stacking is for. In using heavy drag pressure fish come to the boat faster. A lot less can go wrong. Less shark problems, less frayed line, less pulled hooks. Lighter line gets bit more, so the heavier line (stacked) does not help you bit ratio. I now use this method, and I weigh 155 lbs. A short piece of heavier Spectra can be spliced onto the end of your line to increase knot strength. If you use loop to loop connections the small piece of heavier Spectra is not necessary. Hope this helps.