Down the 9/0 rabbit hole

Started by Swami805, February 26, 2018, 08:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Several months ago I bought a 115 9/0, super grimey with some corrosion and 2 broken outer rings. It's a newer model with bearings and an aluminum spool and the price was more than right. I have it apart and it's as ugly inside as out. The pinion was frozen on the spool shaft but heat and 50/50 acetone trans fluid I was able to get it off with out damaging the shaft. Time for some soaking and clean up the parts I'm keeping

I've been accumulating parts and so far I have a CC frame sleeve and dog and the motive fab drag insert.
1st question: I'm looking at the ss pro challenger gears and there's an option for standard or hex. I'm thinking the hex gears since I have the hex insert? Just want to be sure
2 can I fish it ok with cracked outer rings? I'm thinking aluminum side plates are in the works so I don't want to invest in a pair of rings
3 do I need a stainless home and jack or are the stock ones in the reel ok?
As always thanks for the help Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

i might have rings, will check tonite. If so they are yours.

sdlehr

Quote from: Swami805 on February 26, 2018, 08:06:13 PM

1st question: I'm looking at the ss pro challenger gears and there's an option for standard or hex. I'm thinking the hex gears since I have the hex insert? Just want to be sure
Sheridan, pretty sure what you show in your photo goes in a standard main gear. The hex from Pro Challenger has a hexagonal cutout in the gear for hexagonal drag washers. If the outside of the insert is round with two ears like the eared drag washer, you want a standard insert. If it is hexagonal, go with the hex. It looks round in the picture to me.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

handi2

If you get the Pro Challenger after market SS gear set you will have to file on the insert to get it to fit. If you have a stock steel main gear it will drop right in. The stock steel main gear works just as good.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

The main I have is brass and not in great shape. The pinion got a little beat up getting it off the spool shaft so I'll be getting a new set, looks like I'll go with the round one for the insert. The bearings are shot and corroded, I'm hoping to get them out of the cups without damaging the cups. The sleeve was stuck on the shaft too and there's a little corrosion at the base where it meets the bridge plate. The shaft and plate cleaned up ok but it's a little rough where it portrudes at the very base, I might get a new bridge to be on the safe side.
I'm hoping to salvage as much as I can but I got the reel for half the cost of an aluminum spool so I'm still in good shape. Most of the small parts are fine so a new bridge and bearing cups are not too much to buy. The side plates are good, I have a dremel and may add a second dog, lots of great info on here for that.
Thanks Sheridan

Shark Hunter

Sheridan,
The Hex Gears are a different animal.
Custom drag washers need to be cut for these. The insert kit will not work with those gears.
I have several of them and they work great, but they have been left in the dust for future upgrades.
Life is Good!

Swami805

Thanks Daron,Hadn't seen that before

thorhammer

Sheridan, no cigar on the rings, sorry! This is a good looking build!

sdlehr

Sheridan, the hex and versa-drag systems keep the metals stationary and use rotating CF drag discs. The conventional, original systems kept the CF discs stationary and made the metals rotate. This gives you an additional drag surface. I'll let you figure out which one.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Swami805

Thanks for looking John
Thanks Sid I have the motive fab insert kit so I'll be using that, likely more drag than I'll ever use without getting yanked off the boat. Wasn't sure what the hex meant like maybe it was the way the teeth were cut or something. Hadn't seen that before

handi2

I may have a good chromed steel main gear. I do have everything else you need. Just PM if you get in a bind and need these parts.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL