Purchased my first Penn Z series reel (720) and I have a couple of questions.

Started by Jenx, February 26, 2018, 09:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

IMO the Silver series, made in Japan, are functionally identical to single bearing Olympic and Daiwa reels of the 80's. I just picked up another 103 for 15 bucks in good shape. Just fine in the manner the majority of anglers will use it. If i get a sec i will open all three for a pic.

foakes

This kind of explains the differences between the 720 & 722.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jenx

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 27, 2018, 03:12:12 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you compared this reel to the 430SS? The 430SS has better line capacity, better gears, lighter reel ,better spool and it looks better :)...just a thought. Oh, you could close the bail by hand.

Sal

I have not held a 430ss. I was looking for a very simple and easy to maintain reel for the surf, and as I have heard it the Z series was what you used in the surf and the SS series is what you used for everything else. I have heard the SS is less forgiving of sand than the Z series, and just doing a quick scan of the parts list I see it also has 10 more parts than the Z series, which to me just means more things that can break or that would need regularly maintenance.

I did not know that the Z series wouldn't allow for manual bail closure, and while it's not necessarily a deal breaker, I would have second guessed purchasing this reel had I known beforehand. All of this is moot though, as I have yet to fish this reel. It's possible I just wont like how it fishes, in which I will just resell it and start over looking for another reel that best suits my needs. How well this reel casts a 1/2 oz - 3/4 oz weight will depend on whether I decide to keep it or not.

Cheers.

thorhammer

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jenx on February 27, 2018, 05:26:18 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 27, 2018, 03:12:12 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you compared this reel to the 430SS? The 430SS has better line capacity, better gears, lighter reel ,better spool and it looks better :)...just a thought. Oh, you could close the bail by hand.

Sal

I have not held a 430ss. I was looking for a very simple and easy to maintain reel for the surf, and as I have heard it the Z series was what you used in the surf and the SS series is what you used for everything else. I have heard the SS is less forgiving of sand than the Z series, and just doing a quick scan of the parts list I see it also has 10 more parts than the Z series, which to me just means more things that can break or that would need regularly maintenance.

I did not know that the Z series wouldn't allow for manual bail closure, and while it's not necessarily a deal breaker, I would have second guessed purchasing this reel had I known beforehand. All of this is moot though, as I have yet to fish this reel. It's possible I just wont like how it fishes, in which I will just resell it and start over looking for another reel that best suits my needs. How well this reel casts a 1/2 oz - 3/4 oz weight will depend on whether I decide to keep it or not.

Cheers.
The 430SS is just as easy to service. I was not trying to change your mind, just giving my honest personal opinion. The 720 &  722 are great little reels, but to me when compared to the 420 & 430SS, they are much better reels.

This isn't fair to you though, you've asked if you could flick the bail by hand and how much drag.
You already know you can't close the bail by hand, on the drag, I would not go past 8lb at max.
I have one or two somewhere with shredded main gear.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George6308

My 722 has given very good service since I bought it in Banger ME in 1970 for $14.95 at Woolco. Only part that broke was the 43-720. Replaced it for the sum of $ .76. That being just fish your 720 and have fun.

festus

Even though I've never owned a Penn spinning reel (but have been doing much looking lately), I agree with Sal and Mo65. Imho the 420 and 430ss are better reels than the 720 and 722.  So are the 714 and 716.  Why do I say this even though I haven't had any experience with them?  The main and pinion gear layouts are very similar to the D.A.M. Quicks and Shakespeare maroon series which I am familiar with.  

I'm sure your 720z will do fine.  Came awful close to buying a lot of half a dozen reels with a Penn 720z included, along with a Mitchell 308 and a few more but got outbidded a few weeks ago.

mo65

I just want to add a tidbit concerning the bail on the 720z. I'm a manual bail guy too...and I had this big vision of the automatic bail driving me nuts...and it never happened! I adjusted to it in minutes. I've learned to like it. The 720z and 722z are a blast to fish. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Jenx

Sounds like I should have asked you guys first what reel to buy.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will keep an eye out for a 714, 716, or 430ss.

Cheers.

foakes

Quote from: Jenx on February 28, 2018, 01:14:08 AM
I will keep an eye out for a 414, 416, or 430ss.

That reel will do fine, Andy, don't worry — just keep it serviced and greased well with Penn Blue or Yamaha  Marine.  And remember, salt water is very intrusive and unforgiving if allowed to take hold.

When you are looking for reels, you won't find a 414 or 416 — it is a 714 & 716 you likely mean.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jenx

Quote from: foakes on February 28, 2018, 04:32:03 AM
Quote from: Jenx on February 28, 2018, 01:14:08 AM
I will keep an eye out for a 414, 416, or 430ss.

That reel will do fine, Andy, don't worry — just keep it serviced and greased well with Penn Blue or Yamaha  Marine.  And remember, salt water is very intrusive and unforgiving if allowed to take hold.

When you are looking for reels, you won't find a 414 or 416 — it is a 714 & 716 you likely mean.

Best,

Fred

Thank you, Fred. You are correct. I did mean to type 714 and 716.

I also want to thank you for the pictures you posted. Scott's lists the 720 being manufactured from the mid 1970's to 1997. Any idea what time frame the blue colored one was made? I'm assuming blue was the earlier model.

Cheers.

foakes

The blue metallic 720 started production in '68.

The light green metallic 722, in '69.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

George6308

wfjord

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 27, 2018, 03:40:08 PM
A new rotor and skirted spool on the larger Z's and you'll end up whith a heck of a reel.

On which Z models is that possible?

Alto Mare

None of them, I was saying IF the Z's had the skirted spools. With a good machinist I don't see why it couldn't be done, but I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.