Wonder floating Minnow

Started by Reel Beaker, March 21, 2018, 03:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi guys,

recently i bought a wonder floating minnow. You can see its pic here:

http://www.zerek-inv.com/product/origin-series/wonder-minnow

Its the 781-LWMS85F/GS model. For those who do not know, the GS is just the colour code of the minnow. Anyway, it is the smaller lure in the pic in the site listed. Its spec as follows:

85mm/10.5g

Depth: 1.0-1.3 m

Now, i tried this lure the other day(just dropped it on the water), and it just floated on the water surface and did not sink. How can it attain a depth of 1.0-1.3m if it does not sink? How do people usually work such a lure?

Thanks.

Tiddlerbasher

Floating lures with a front bib need to reeled and, at the same time given a jerk every now and then. Winding quickly should get it down to its design depth. The jerking action (to give a darting motion of the lure) of the rod can be to either side or downwards towards your feet. That is best acomplished with a short rod.

STRIPER LOU

The lip on the front of the plug will cause it to dive when retrieved.

Condition's dictate what gets the best results. Floaters can be deadly with a slow to moderate retrieve and pausing, letting the plug come to the top and rest a second or two.
Striped bass usually find this type of presentation irresistible and would probably work well for largemouth bass as well as other species too.

............Lou

Reel Beaker

So all i need to do is to hold my rod 45 degrees and reel and the lure will work its way to the required depth?

Tiddlerbasher

Simple reeling will usually give the lure a left/right 'S' type motion. It is better with an occasiona/regular jerk also pause, as Lou suggested, to let the lure rise from its normal swimming depth.

STRIPER LOU

I totally agree with Chris and I too like to keep the rod to the side and low to the water. To a point, the faster the retrieve the deeper it will dive.

A floater has a good amount of buoyancy and will only dive to a certain point.

On a METAL lip swimmer, if you bend the lip up, it will cause the lure to dig in and dive deeper. Conversely just the opposite when bent down.

I've used that type of plug on a larger scale for stripers and have found on occasion, stopping the retrieve and letting the plug come to the surface for a second or two can be deadly.
Sometimes the strike can be so violent it makes you jump! Man, don't ya just love it.

Experiment and see what works best for you and good luck.

Regard's,  ..  Lou