Shimano Calcutta 400 TE

Started by Gobi King, February 28, 2018, 08:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Alex,

I have been picking up few reels here and there for the last decade or so. Very dis-organized and getting costly in terms on management.

Never looked at a reel for the features it has as I did not know what the heck I should be looking at  ;D.

With the input from you guys I am able to figure out what will work for me and why.

Not brand loyal, I own toyotas, chevy, ford and hondas, best of breed and value is what I seek.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

thorhammer

400 TE is a good one. The Boss did mine for me. I nabbed it at a flea market for $100....ON A G LOOMIS :)

nelz

So nobody's mentioned the Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel C3000H yet. It would make an awesome muskie reel.

Hey thorhammer, you stole that outfit!  ;D

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on March 06, 2018, 03:31:58 PM
400 TE is a good one. The Boss did mine for me. I nabbed it at a flea market for $100....ON A G LOOMIS :)

compadre, you should stop doing that, I still remember the bunch of newells you got for free I mean for cheap, now this   >:( >:( >:(
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

yeah, shouldn't mention the two Cardiffs AND Calcutta 50 ON graphite rods I got ALL for $75....I think I replaced two tips, adjusted an AR spring, loosened two bearing caps and was in business...

nelz

Quote from: thorhammer on March 06, 2018, 08:25:15 PM
yeah, shouldn't mention the two Cardiffs AND Calcutta 50 ON graphite rods I got ALL for $75....I think I replaced two tips, adjusted an AR spring, loosened two bearing caps and was in business...

Ok, seriously man, what part of the world are you shopping in?

thorhammer

North Cackalackey, and occasionally our armpit due south on I-95 :).

Gobi King

Quote from: thorhammer on March 06, 2018, 08:47:53 PM
North Cackalackey, and occasionally our armpit due south on I-95 :).

I have go on a road trip ;-),

My buddies here in west mi keep telling me of buying guns, ammo, fishing stuff in garage sales. So I ventured out to a few, nada, not even a tickle me elmo  ???
Fichigan

Gobi King

After comparing the reels, I have settled on Okuma SLX Levelwind reels.

Here are 3 reels compared:
CCP (Cold Cranking Power) won at the end of the day. I am not a good caster and with my shoulder I don't see casting in my future. Trolling/Jigging - it will bit heavier.
So initially I am rigging up the 2 Okuma 350s in the pic I just received and couple of additional Okuma SLX 10s for spring coho.

60 lb braid on 350s and 80lb braid on SLXs (these are huge, I might put a mono backer on them first).

Fichigan

steelfish

okuma Slx reels are really good I have the 10Slx (no levelwind)
did you know that solterra Slx reels came with thrust bearing?
is an awesome part for a medium range and not metallic reel

just way different animal from a round baitcasting reel you were asking at the beginning, okuma solterra is a conventional levelwind reel, but since you dont cast your lures this reel with work better for you fo'shure.

The Baja Guy

Gobi King

Quote from: steelfish on March 07, 2018, 08:27:09 PM
okuma Slx reels are really good I have the 10Slx (no levelwind)
did you know that solterra Slx reels came with thrust bearing?
is an awesome part for a medium range and not metallic reel

just way different animal from a round baitcasting reel you were asking at the beginning, okuma solterra is a conventional levelwind reel, but since you dont cast your lures this reel with work better for you fo'shure.

Yeah, from what I have read here thrust bearings are the shizzle, as Gary would say, no butts about it.

Most of my heavy fishing till now has been on charter boats with their equipment. In MI Shimano Tekotas are charter favs and staple on nearly every salmon/trout charter.

The biggest St Claires has to offer are 50 inch Northerns and some Sturgeons (nearly 100 lbs). I am not targeting Sturgeons. But hey, you never know.

Question about non-levelwind reels - I have thought about getting the 2 speed SLX but how line lay work if grandma is just reeling?

A typical big fish is landed like this:

the low gear will be just perfect, but I am baffled, will the line just stack up in the middle?

Fichigan

steelfish

Quote from: Gobi King on March 07, 2018, 11:50:24 PM

Question about non-levelwind reels - I have thought about getting the 2 speed SLX but how line lay work if grandma is just reeling?

the low gear will be just perfect, but I am baffled, will the line just stack up in the middle?

as you know the line will stack up randomly mostly depending on if you twist the reel like cranking, or if you have a steady retrieve it will stack up on the middle, I have helped ederly persons while fighting a nice fish holding the rod while they crank the handle and at the same time I level the line few times, wait till is stacking in one part of the spool and move it to the side, wait for 3-5 full turns and continue till they have the fish, there is no magical way to level the line even automatic on non-levelwind reels.

by the way, I know you already have you reel, but there is a nice 400TE for $235 in BD
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/shimano-calcutta-te-400-235.677570/
The Baja Guy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have a nice 400TE that I would love to sell for $235 PayPal plus $11 or less for shipping to anywhere in the USA.

nelz

Gobi King

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on March 08, 2018, 08:31:14 PM
I have a nice 400TE that I would love to sell for $235 PayPal plus $11 or less for shipping to anywhere in the USA.

That is a pretty nice reel and at a great price. I will have to pass, I am going for the 2 speed Okuma SLXs.
Thanks for the offer!
Fichigan