Shimano Calcutta 400 TE

Started by Gobi King, February 28, 2018, 08:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Quote from: steelfish on March 08, 2018, 08:03:02 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on March 07, 2018, 11:50:24 PM

Question about non-levelwind reels - I have thought about getting the 2 speed SLX but how line lay work if grandma is just reeling?

the low gear will be just perfect, but I am baffled, will the line just stack up in the middle?

as you know the line will stack up randomly mostly depending on if you twist the reel like cranking, or if you have a steady retrieve it will stack up on the middle, I have helped ederly persons while fighting a nice fish holding the rod while they crank the handle and at the same time I level the line few times, wait till is stacking in one part of the spool and move it to the side, wait for 3-5 full turns and continue till they have the fish, there is no magical way to level the line even automatic on non-levelwind reels.

by the way, I know you already have you reel, but there is a nice 400TE for $235 in BD
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/shimano-calcutta-te-400-235.677570/

Alex, that sounds doable, I am sure I can help stack the line while she is reeling.
Most line we may have out is around 300 feet,  unless we hook on of those cow 30 lb chinook salmons.  ;D

I ordered 2 additional SLXs with levelwind, I will get a another SLX in 2speed and put it in my trolling spread.

Thanks for the link.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan