Reel clinic at Wester Sport Shop

Started by JGB, July 17, 2011, 07:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGB

Alan, Bryan and myself spent the day at Western Sport Shop today. We all had a great time tutoring a steady stream of guys with reels to be serviced. We did not do the work but allowed them to use Alan's arsenal of reel repair tools and lubes to service their own reels. We had as many as 10 guys working on their reels at the same time.
It was great to see these guys dig into their reels (many for the first time) without worry since we were guiding them through the process.
The result was the guys were successful on servicing and upgrading their reels to perform at a level they were proud of. They also owned that they made this happen and did the work with their own hands. A bunch of fishing fanatics left with a new notch in their belt, more confidence, and a whole new understanding of how their reels are designed and built.

Was it worth the time? Heck yes it was!!!!

Thanks Alan and Bryan for making this a successful team effort,

Jim N.

Norcal Pescador

Kudos to all of you guys! :) 8) :)   This is what it's all about - sharing knowledge. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Gman_WC

What no pictures Jim?
My hat is off to you, Alan, and Greg for taking the time to do this.
I did not attend, but I was with you guys in spirit. Last night I
spent a few hours going through one of my old 505HS for a friend to
use in Baja next week. Cleaned with grease drags. I love the smell
of blue grease at midnight! -g
Walnut Creek, CA

JGB

did not bring a camera.
Bryan may have a few??
Jim N.

JGB

Bryan,

BTW I have a winder reel mounting bar (square cross section), 2 reel clamps, base board, 1 of the 2 post needed to mount the bar, and 2 post bases to get your started on your line winder.

Jim N.

Bryan Young

Our day started like this.

It was busy trying to keep track of the 3 guys at my table taking reels apart and puting them back together.  If they were all the same reels, then it probably would not be so tiring, but had a Penn, Shimano, Abu all going at the same time.  I noticed that my brain does not switch gears as fast as it used to.

If my brain was like Jim's I could be crusing like him.

And last, Alan is working on a reel, the last reel that walked into the door at 4:15 and we wanted to leave at 4:30...well, we left at 5:00 instead.

I would definitely do it again.  It's cool to see guys taking their reels apart and seeing their faces when their completed reels worked great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CapeFish

This looks great. Do you guys always wear latex gloves? Is it just to keep your hands clean or to keep nasty chemicals away from your skin?

alantani

the wife kept on "commenting" on the odor.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, are those grease guns pneumatic? I noticed that you have a couple of plano gear boxes with trays and a handle on top, I also have a few, aren't they great for transporting  reel parts? Hey Bryan, I was hoping to see you in action, working on some reels, where you worried that you where going to screw one up? ;D. Keep up your excellent work guys, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I brought the camera, and the guys were still busy when my guys left.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CapeFish

Quote from: alantani on July 20, 2011, 09:21:26 PM
the wife kept on "commenting" on the odor.......   :-\

The latex odor or the corossion x odor?

seaeagle2

After I'm done working with oil, grease, cleaning a bunch of fish,   etc, and cleaned my hands with Go Jo or something similar, my wife used to complain that it still smelled gross.  She got this Hand Sanitizer at Bath and Body works, and it works great. And as some us know all too well, if  Moma's Happy, Everybody's happy
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson