List of questions...

Started by Reel Beaker, March 03, 2018, 01:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Ok.... I have a list of questions to ask...Mainly these:

1. Grease/oil Ratio- I know some of you mix your grease and oil when servicing your reels. What ratio do you usually use? How do you achieve that ratio since grease and oil dont mix readily with one another? Has anyone used the Daiwa performance grease? The saltwater DSG 505 grease? How does it hold up w/o mixing oil? Was thinking of mixing Daiwa reel oil with the grease but OMG... so expensive the oil. This cocktail is gonna burn a hole in my pocket. Currently using Bakau grease and Bakau oil mixture for my reels.

2. Cleaning Bearings- I soaked my open-face bearings in turpentine and shaked it a little and left it to soak for 1-2 hrs. OMG, they became so shiny, like fresh out of the factory! Would this work with sealed bearings also? My dad told me that using turpentine on the floor would damage it. Would my bearings become bad as a result? I read some of you use "mineral spirit". What exactly is that? Is it a good idea to soak your reel screws in turpentine to remove grease and grim?

3. Plastics lures- Do any of you know what kind of plastic lures to catch ribbonfish? They are a pelgaic species i believe? Tips anyone if you catch these? You might need spend some time explaining things here since i have never done luring before...

4. Snelling hooks with multi-strand wire trace- How to snell your circle hooks with wire trace? Trying to snell my hooks with 12 lb nylon covered wire.

5. How do you attach a glow stick to your mainline/leader for night fishing?

Thanks!!

Swami805

I'll Take a stab at a few
Glow sticks- loop them on with a rubber band. easy peasy.
Nylon coated wire, try not to use it, the nylon cracks and the wire will corode even worse because the water gets trapped inside and you can't see if it's gone bad. I have no idea if it's possible to snell wire since it's so stiff
Not sure why oil and grease wouldn't mix, don't think there's a real formula, add a small amount of oil to the grease until you get a consistency you like.
Cleaning bearings- I've had good luck with carbarator cleaner in a spray can, it evaporates quickly and doesn't leave much residue. Some of the pros on here can help you more with solvents for bearings.
Love to see a picture of a ribbonfish, never seen one.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Swami805 on March 03, 2018, 02:05:16 AM
I'll Take a stab at a few
Glow sticks- loop them on with a rubber band. easy peasy.
Nylon coated wire, try not to use it, the nylon cracks and the wire will corode even worse because the water gets trapped inside and you can't see if it's gone bad. I have no idea if it's possible to snell wire since it's so stiff

Love to see a picture of a ribbonfish, never seen one.

The problem is that the glow sticks have no place for me to loop any rubber bands. Its just a short elongated stick. The sticks i am using are the small ones you can find in the tackle shop. They come in small little packets. 2 per pack with a little rubber tubing. I have always wondered why they provide you with a tubing when there are 2 glow sticks in a packet. As for the nylon wire, i bought it cheap at a clearance sale in a local tackle shop. Unfortunately, the only wire they have are these. Read an article on the net that ribbonfish are ferocious predators with sharp teeth, so i have been using some 25 lb kevlar steel that my dad had stashed away in the storeroom. Unfortunately my dad was a big game angler in his younger days and do not have such wire trace with a lower poundage. I snelled the hook with the knotless knot after watching some youtube vids. I tried to duplicate this with 12 lb nylon coated wire but was unsatisfied with the end result. The barrel wraps were too loose(because wire is stiff?). Since we are going to do something, might as well do it right, right? Or do you think this is pointless and i am better off crimping the wire instead? I have also not crimped any wire before in my life. I have been snelling the hook with the knotless knot and attaching it to the swivel with a figure 8 knot.

Ribbonfish are like silvery eels, except that they are not eels. Unfortunately, the only pics i can find are by fish exporters... zzzz.....You know how some people enjoy collecting foil pokemon cards that are shiny? Catching ribbonfish is like another variant of collecting foil pokemon cards. They shine and shimmer in the light. Great tasting fish in asia but not very fleshy too. The next time i catch one, i will take a pic of it.   

sdlehr

Quote from: Reel Beaker on March 03, 2018, 01:20:44 AM
Ok.... I have a list of questions to ask...Mainly these:

1. Grease/oil Ratio- I know some of you mix your grease and oil when servicing your reels. What ratio do you usually use? How do you achieve that ratio since grease and oil dont mix readily with one another?
I don't do this as a rule, but when I have it has been to thin the grease a bit. Grease and oil mix together just fine with a little bit of help (stirring).
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

philaroman

1. there's no formula -- depends on temperature & how thick the grease is...  if it's a very hot Summer, then very little oil (or, none); very cold Winter -- much more oil

2. solvents won't damage steel...  if you have plastic shields -- who knows? -- remove them

3. sounds like bigger cousins of needlefish (very long, bony "beak" mouth & many small sharp teeth)...
try bait w/ very sharp Japanese circle hooks (don't set the hook -- it sets itself in the corner of the mouth);
OR rope lures used for Gar (no hooks -- teeth get tangled in the rope):
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&ei=dqGaWs_9Noy5ggfnw5-ABQ&q=rope+lure&oq=rope+lure&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i7i30k1l2j0j0i7i30k1l6j0i5i30k1.773275.773275.0.776567.1.1.0.0.0.0.212.212.2-1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.210....0.p1tQroMhsBo

4. just crimp -- I'm sure you don't have expensive knottabe 49-strand (7X7) micro-steel or 7-strand titanium

5. put the tubing sleeves on the leader, BEFORE you attach the hook

Keta

Slip a piece of rubber tubing over your line then put the glow stick in the tubing.  Slide it to where ever you want it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel Beaker

Quote from: philaroman on March 03, 2018, 02:22:31 PM
1. there's no formula -- depends on temperature & how thick the grease is...  if it's a very hot Summer, then very little oil (or, none); very cold Winter -- much more oil

2. solvents won't damage steel...  if you have plastic shields -- who knows? -- remove them

3. sounds like bigger cousins of needlefish (very long, bony "beak" mouth & many small sharp teeth)...
try bait w/ very sharp Japanese circle hooks (don't set the hook -- it sets itself in the corner of the mouth);
OR rope lures used for Gar (no hooks -- teeth get tangled in the rope):
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&ei=dqGaWs_9Noy5ggfnw5-ABQ&q=rope+lure&oq=rope+lure&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i7i30k1l2j0j0i7i30k1l6j0i5i30k1.773275.773275.0.776567.1.1.0.0.0.0.212.212.2-1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.210....0.p1tQroMhsBo

4. just crimp -- I'm sure you don't have expensive knottabe 49-strand (7X7) micro-steel or 7-strand titanium

5. put the tubing sleeves on the leader, BEFORE you attach the hook

why do you use less oil on a hot summer and more on a cold winter?

Miles Offshore

We/ my friends catch ribbonfish in their pound nets all the time but Ive never seen one caught on rod n reel. Great bait for kings and offshore so ive been told but never tried them.

The light wire  i use to tie a stinger in a treble hook for live bait I use a figure 8 knot
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Keta

Quote from: Reel Beaker on March 03, 2018, 02:36:06 PM
why do you use less oil on a hot summer and more on a cold winter?

Grease is less viscous when it is warm, some more than others.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Paint thinner, mineral spirits and turpentine are all basically the same thing, just different names. None of them will damage metal or most plastics. Those three are all milder than carb cleaner, acetone, xylol and lacquer thinner, all of which will melt or damage paint and plastic. Personally, I use lacquer thinner to clean all unpainted metal parts, but it's not for the inexperienced.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 03, 2018, 03:31:48 PM
Paint thinner, mineral spirits and turpentine are all basically the same thing, just different names. None of them will damage metal or most plastics. Those three are all milder than carb cleaner, acetone, xylol and lacquer thinner, all of which will melt or damage paint and plastic. Personally, I use lacquer thinner to clean all unpainted metal parts, but it's not for the inexperienced.   

I guess its safe to use turpentine then. Would you recommend soaking gears in turpentine to remove girt,grim and grease?

sdlehr

You'll do fine with most any organic solvent to dissolve oil and grease; turpentine, naphtha, mineral spirits, etc. I use mineral spirits and generally soak overnight. Just mind the flammability and fumes. Naphtha is basically gasoline without the additives, use care. Back to one of your questions, grease is oil plus a soap. Sometimes it separates back out a little in time but can be mixed back and perform as it originally would have.

For the worst caked-up, hardened grease I use Paslode spray, found in Home Depot by the electric power tools, for which it was meant to be a cleaner. Use it outside. It's about $7 a can. It does the same job as the mineral spirits in a much shorter amount of time.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

handi2

Ribbonfish used to abundant here in the bays and gulf. They were a nuisance.

They were used for King Mackerel bait.

Get some 18lb Sevenstrand. No need for crimps. It ties easily for any application. It is uncoated.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

wfjord

The grease/oil mixture I use is based on what I've learned from this website that some of the expert reel technicians here use. I was using Yamaha blue grease thinned with CorrosionX and it worked nicely.  Recently I switched to mixing Yamaha grease with TSI321 and like it a little better. No particular ratio, just a smooth consistency that might vary, but looks good to me and does the job.

Mineral spirits is generally a petroleum product. Turpentine is primarily distilled from the gum of pine trees. They're both paint thinners. I use mineral spirits because I can't tolerate the overpowering smell and fumes of turpentine. Turpentine can also leave a gummy residue.

Dominick

Quote from: wfjord on March 04, 2018, 02:59:11 AM
The grease/oil mixture I use is based on what I've learned from this website that some of the expert reel technicians here use. I was using Yamaha blue grease thinned with CorrosionX and it worked nicely.  Recently I switched to mixing Yamaha grease with TSI321 and like it a little better. No particular ratio, just a smooth consistency that might vary, but looks good to me and does the job.

Mineral spirits is generally a petroleum product. Turpentine is primarily distilled from the gum of pine trees. They're both paint thinners. I use mineral spirits because I can't tolerate the overpowering smell and fumes of turpentine. Turpentine can also leave a gummy residue.

I hope someone that really knows chimes in here.  I believe that TSI321 has a cleaning solvent in it.  If so I would not use it mixed with grease in a reel.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.