ABU Garcia 652, 653, 654, 752, 753, 754, etc., Cardinals

Started by Midway Tommy, January 04, 2018, 09:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 07, 2020, 09:34:15 PM
Greg,

Nice pick! I've never broken down a 300 or 500 series reel, so let us know how close it comes to the info in this tutorial.

Tommy, Sorry I have been so long getting back to this.
It looks like the plastic clicker is also the only drag washer?  I have not been able to remove the spool shaft, which means I can't remove the main gear.
Any suggestions very welcome.
Greg

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

Hi Greg --

Not trying to butt in -- and Tom will know for sure...however, there is a little metal "horseshoe shaped" retainer that can be removed with a small screwdriver, needlenose, or tweezers.

It is shown in your photo tucked into the carriage slide.

The spool shaft should come right out when this is removed.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

basto

I will let the pictures describe the rest of the reels build. The rotor to body attachment is a surprise.
Greg

Midway Tommy

Well advised, Fred. I've never been inside a 500 or 300 series, or really any Cardinal post the 600 & 700 series'. I had heard, though, that the 500 series was cheapened quite a bit. Looks like AG just continued cutting corners.  :(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

pinoy101

hello Gents...

Look what I found this side of the ocean..... ;D

alan S.

Bora

Excellent, thank you for taking the time to put this breakdown together.

Have a 754 that is in need of service. Never fished this kind of reel before nor had one open on the bench.

So I am looking forward to get into it soon...

thorhammer

I have a whole bag of these to go thru one day to put back together from an estate sale, and a few red ones. Don't know much about them.